Thread: Get files back

Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Get files back

Here is my predicament,
    I decided that I did not like windows 8, and made a system image from windows 7 file recovery. Then I wiped my had drive and installed windows 7. In windows 7 I go to restore my files, and it cant find my usb hard drive nor can it find the image. How do I get my files back? Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I suppose your first issue is finding the USB drive. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting it?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the drive shows in windows explorer, but when I hit restore my files the drive does not show. I have tried reconnecting it and I restarted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    But have you checked whether the folder and files for the image backup are there? Do you have a file with a .vhd extension?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I know where the backup file is and the file extension VHDX

Administrator
    Thanks
    The vhdx extension is supported only in Windows 8 (and server 2012), so you won't be able to read it in Windows 7. It seems you have two options to deal with the problem:

1. Use a Windows 8 system to convert the vdhx format into a vhd format. This can be accomplished in the way described here: http://blog.anuragg.com/2012/10/vhdx...onversion.html

Of course, if you have access to a Windows 8 machine, another easy way to solve your problem would be to mount the .vhdx file in Windows 8 and then share it on your network.

2. Probably you could install even an evaluation version of Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine, mount the vhdx file as a drive and share it with Windows 7.
    Apparently you should be able to have read access to a vdhx file from a VirtualBox VM, but I am not seeing how you could handle it without setting up this VM with some other operating system, so getting an evaluation version of Windows 8 still seems the fastest way to handle this.
    Rui
    -------
    R4