Thanks

Windows XP Windows Defender

I recall downloading and installing Windows Defender on my Win XP system, but I can't find it. Did Microsoft discontinue Windows Defender for Win XP? I can't find the download on the Microsoft website.

If not, I think a virus has taken hold of my system and disabled the program. I see a Windows Defender folder on my system when I do a windows search, but there aren't any files in that folder.

Regards
    Last edited by tjg79; 2013-09-18 at 00:14.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You might be after Windows Security Essentials.

Thanks
    No, Windows Defender which is included in Win 7 and "was" a download for Win XP, had a Microsoft download webpage, but not anymore. I installed the download for XP about eighteen months ago, but I can't find it on my system.

At the time I downloaded Windows Defender, there was another download for Windows Security Essentials which was a lightweight and poorly rated anti-virus/internet security program for people who wouldn't buy an anti-virus program. Windows Security Essentials wasn't compatible with other internet security/anti-virus programs. I think Defender is included in Windows Security Essentials.

Windows Defender for XP ran just like Defender for Win 7 and behaves like the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, but Defender is an installed program where Malicious Software Removal Tools is just an executable file.

I think Microsoft has discontinued Defender for XP and somehow disabled it on XP systems that had it installed. Microsoft is noticeably quite on the topic, because I can't find any notices of it being discontinued for XP.
    Last edited by tjg79; 2013-09-18 at 09:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft Security Essentials has superseded Windows Defender for older systems. When you install MSE on XP, it will replace Windows Defender.

MSE does not fare as well as some others with the A/V testing folks. However, the test they run are not necessarily real world scenarios. They run tests against all viruses and all variants regardless of whether any of those have every been seen anywhere outside of a lab. MSE can and does function quite well as part of a multi-layer defense system. A router with a good firewall (or preferably a HIPS) and a firewall on the PC in conjunction with MSE will be sufficient for most people particularly if the user is reasonably safe in their internet access.

Joe

Thanks
    I think Microsoft just discontinued Defender for anything older than Vista. I don't know when they did that, but it must have been recently. Microsoft Security Essential (MSE) is a suite that includes Defender, but Win 7 doesn't have MSE, it's got stand-alone Defender. Defender was compatible with my internet security suite, ESET Smart Security, but MSE is not.

I don't think "superseded" is the correct description. A more factual description would be "terminated" Defender for older systems, but you can still get the features in MSE which isn't compatible with other internet security software like Defender used to be.

The sooner Microsoft kicks the legs out from under XP, the sooner they'll get more sales for their current operating systems. The last statistics I read was that XP is still on 35% of the desktops.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    MSE is available for all supported Windows versions older than Windows 8. MSE downloads for XP, Vista (32-bit & 64-bit) , & Win7 (32-bit & 64-bit) are at the link I posted. The MSE download is the same for Vista & Win7.

Joe

Thanks
    If you currently have a virus on your system, you could try Windows Defender Offline to clean it off of your system:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline