New Lounger
    Thanks

Issues foillowing reinstall of Win 7 (Directx, Hardware acceleration)

Hello
    Up to last week I was happily running everything on a Dell XPS 8000.
    Following some Windows updates (it may be a day or two after they were applied) I noticed
    that all my Mail contacts had vanished. I troubleshooted as much as I could, saw that in the past
    others had experienced the same issue with contacts vanishing, but could find no actual solution.
    For reasons not obvious to me now, I decided to do a system restore to a date when I knew everything
    was working. The system restore said that it completed ok but when the PC rebooted I just got a
    Blue screen failure (device inaccessible)
    I tried Windows repair - did not work.
    I tried system restores to various dates, all completed ok, but still got a Blue screen
    I came to the conclusion that my only option was to reinstall Windows.

I have done this but now have some other issues

If I try and run some Windows games (Hearts), the game runs but I get a message saying that it is running in software rendering mode

I use Google Earth, and when I reinstalled it, it will not start. Initially it says DirectX mode not supported, and suggests that I try OpenGL. When I try this I get a message about graphics card does not support Google Earth in OpenGL mode

Please bear in mind that I have made no changes whatsoever to the hardware configuration

I have run the Dxdiag software but it reports no errors.

At this stage I am thankful that I have a semi working PC, but frustrated with these issues.

I have also lost the Dell installed Microsoft Office because of the reinstall, (no software install disc)but I can probably work around this.

Any advice would be appreciated

Gerard

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What type of reinstall did you perform?

Is your data on the same partition as Windows?

Do you have a backup of your data?

Is the DELL recovery partition still available?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Gerard,

To fix the DirectX problems, you'll probably need to install the drivers for your graphics card/chip. Best to begin with the motherboard chipset drivers and then update the graphics. Base Windows graphics drivers are usually only good for Aero, useless for any serious DirectX software or games.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe
    To answer your questions
    1/ I did a full WIN 7 install
    2/ My data is in the same partition as Windows
    3/ When I did the reinstall it saved all my data in a Windows.Old directory (I had a backup copy anyway)
    4/ I am not too sure what you mean about the Dell recovery partition

See also my reply to SATROW. Following a download and install of the correct driver for my graphics card all my issues have been resolved.
    It looks like when the reinstall was done, a generic graphics driver was installed

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query

Regards

Gerard

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow

I have done as you suggested and downloaded and installed the correct drivers for my graphics card (Nvidia)
    This seems to have resolved all the issues that I had

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query

Regards

Gerard