2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSE showing error code 0x80070564 and system is unresponsive???

MSE showing error code 0x80070564 and system is unresponsive???

My wife and I have essentially identical Dell Inspiron laptops with Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials. Automatic updates are turned on and everything is up to date as far as I know. We don't do anything very complicated.

This morning her PC came up with the Microsoft Security Essentials icon turned red. When I tried to start MSE, it gave the error code of 0x80070564, which is reported numerous times on the internet. After I tried a number of things, her PC suddenly started working again, and the MSE icon turned green. The system seemed to be completely normal.

So I shut the system down, then restarted and the same thing happened: the MSE icon is red, the task manager shows nothing running, but the system is not responsive. I can't even cancel the Task Manager. It's been sitting there for several minutes. Does anybody have any idea what is going on or how to proceed? My own PC is fine and has no apparent problems, and I'm sending this note using it.

Update: after several minutes (not sure how long), the system suddenly starts working, the MSE icon turns green, and everything appears completely normal - what is going on??
    Last edited by Rfarmer; 2013-09-18 at 09:47. Reason: additional information

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Try Googling "Windows 0x80070564" w/o quotes. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Try Googling "Windows 0x80070564" w/o quotes. HTH
    He already did that:

Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    When I tried to start MSE, it gave the error code of 0x80070564, which is reported numerous times on the internet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional information:
    The PC began working again and seemed OK for several hours and my wife was using it. The PC began working after the internet icon blinked a few times. Then the internet was accessible with no problems and the MSE icon is green. I also ran the quick scan of both MSE and AntiMalwarebytes and no problems were found.

So, at 3 PM, I decided to shutdown and restart, and sure enough the strange behavior again appeared. The MSE icon is red, but I don't think MSE is the problem. Instead, the PC seems to be stuck trying to access the internet. When I open the Network and Sharing Center, it doesn't open but just sits there with a blank screen and the hourglass indicator. If I open the Task Manager, it shows:
    Processes: 59 CPU Usage: 0 %; Physical memory: 18%
    So there is literally nothing going on, but I can't access the internet (and MSE can't either). Neither will Google come up. Meanwhile, the PC I'm currently using is literally 3 feet from the other PC, and it works fine.

3:21 PM; small icon appeared in lower right corner of screen saying something like "Identifying RML Home" (that's the name of our router), Internet access was restored, and the system is back up, the MSE icon is green and everything is apparently OK.

So what could cause the PC to hang up trying to access the internet for 20 minutes, then everything appears to get fixed and the system is operating OK?

Thanks for any suggestions (and this PC worked fine yesterday..)

Thanks
    To try and isolate the problem, try connecting the laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable. If it works fine, it's the wifi which is the culprit (though I have no suggestions why). If it's the same I would think it's the laptop which may have an issue.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem seems to be the WiFi identification procedure gets hung up. The small circle on top of the Wifi indicator is NOT going around, the MSE indicator is red, and the internet is not accessible. In addition, the Network and Sharing Center, and the Device Manager will not come up either. But after 15-20 minutes, it suddenly starts to work, the MSE indicator turns green, the internet is accessible and everything seems to work. This is very consistent and seems to happen after every boot/restart.

More information and testing:
    1. Tried reboot with wired network connection: same result
    2. Disabled Bluetooth adapters in Device Manager, then rebooted: same result

There are many reports of WiFi identification problems on the internet, but I have not found any explanation for the problem. There are lots of suggestions, but these seem to be just shots in the dark, without an understanding or explanation of what's going on.

Thanks for any further suggestions !!

Thanks
    Try a clean boot:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry