iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Touring through the final Windows 8.1

TOP STORY

Touring through the final Windows 8.1

By Woody Leonhard

After much public criticism and internal debate, Microsoft made an abrupt about-face and released Windows 8.1 RTM to TechNet and MSDN subscribers — well before the OS's public debut.

With release-to-manufacturer, Windows 8.1 is effectively complete and will roll out to Windows 8 users in mid-October.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/touring-through-the-final-windows-8-1/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a member of Technet, I searched and searched, and did not find a way to download 8.1RTM. Can you point me to the right link?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 8 and use Classic Start Menu to make my computer look and act like XP. Why would I want to fool with Windows 8.1 with all the garbage they have when what I have right now works. I never use the tiles, the Charm junk, the Metro apps, the Windows Store, or any of the other supposedly new stuff. Can I just ignore version 8.1 until 8.2 comes out?

Thanks
    According to Woody Leonhard, there isn't any reason for you to want to move to Windows 8.1, since you work only in Desktop mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with aedwall. I use Start8 for accessing things in Windows 8 and if, for whatever reason, I want the metro garbage, they have a button on the start menu for access it.

Thanks
    The Full version of Windows 8.1 on the TechNet Site is more than 3GB in size. I understand Microsoft intends rolling out Windows 8.1 as a Windows 8 UPDATE: Presumably the download of this update will be smaller, consisting only of the changed files, or am I wrong? (If the full 3GB-plus file must be downloaded as an update, this is going to exceed the monthly download cap of many internet subscribers around the world: Not everyone has "unlimited" downloads available).
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    I have now tried the "Final Windows 8.1 Release" and have posted my first impressions here:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...st-Impressions
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Although it will be a long time before I will be using Windows 8 in any version, I was delighted to hear that Microsoft is "dissing" the Libraries. In Windows 7 I found them to be an infernal nuisance. They kept popping up when I really wanted to get to the actual file. So I searched the Internet for ways of eliminaing them, and have almost, but not quite, succeeded in removing all vestiges of them. I hope that by the time that I get to a later version of Windows, the Libraries will either have disappeared or they will be an optional feature that can be omitted(as they should have been in the first place).
    I should mention that I almost lost a lot of important data when I some files from a Library not realizing they were "real" and not shadows. Fortunately that information was completed backed up, but it really scared me.