4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How Can Windows Media Player Make a Music Track Disappear?

This morning i opened Windows Media Player in (Windows 7 Home Premium), selected Album view, then clicked on a Vivaldi album to play. The album is a CD which we backed up by ripping to our computer's hard drive, and it played OK, However, part way through the album i noticed something missing. Track 13, the opening movement of a short concerto, simply wasn't there. The track is most certainly on the hard drive but, somehow, Windows Media Player managed to omit it. The media player was minimised to the task bar so there's no way i accidentally deleted a track from the player (can you even do that?). Attached is a screenshot of the PC's music folder showing the tracks in question (21 tracks) as well as the Media Player track listing (20 tracks). Can anyone suggest how this could happen? The most creative answer wins a free haircut at Bill Gates' barber shop. Second prize is 2 haircuts at Bill Gates' barbershop ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    My guess would be that the missing track got corrupted, and so Media Player no longer is able to process it.

I had a missing track or two when I ripped an audio book from CD to my hard drive. Fortunately, I had made a copy of each CD a while back, and so I was able to rim the missing tracks from the copy.

Try ripping the CD again. The track may show up.

Does the free haircut include round trip transportation to Seattle?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My guess would be that the missing track got corrupted, and so Media Player no longer is able to process it.
    Good point except that it clearly is still there in the Music folder on the hard drive. If that particular track is double-clicked in the Music folder Windows Media Player plays it, no problem. But, wait, it gets better. As everyone knows, you can select music either from within Media Player or from the folder where the music is stored. When the album is selected from the music folder (instead of from within Media Player) then the missing track is present !! The mystery deepens ....