Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Office 365 (2013) updates

Office 365 automatically updates from time to time but gives no information on what is updated. I've searched Windows Update and other places online but can find no place to get that information. Anyone?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The main place to watch is http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering.

The comment stream on the September updates posting (http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_su...e-release.aspx) is an eye-opener.

Thanks
    I feel sorry for the folks who depend on MS Office 2010 Starter. It appears from the comments that 2013 updates step all over 2010.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've checked both of these sites and there is no mention of Office 365. Now I know it's a variant of Office 2013, but I've still seen absolutely no sign of updates of any sort - security, bug fixes, etc. One MS rep online suggested I should get them through Windows Update, but that's clearly not the case. With the huge crop of Sep 2014 Win 2013 updates, you'd think that these must also apply to '365'. One gets the impression that MS kind of forgot about it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Office 365 is not a variant of Office 2013. Office 365 is a service that you can subscribe to. When that gives you the right to local installs of Office, what you install is Office 2013. This can be easily checked by choosing the File menu and then Account. You will see that it clearly states the Office version as being Office 2013.

There are updates to Office that come with Windows updates (I still have a few waiting, since I haven't patched this month, yet), but Office 2013 will also update itself. I did get an autonomous Office 2013 update, that I allowed Office to install.

The list of updates offered by Windows Update doesn't seem to have changed as a result of the autonomous Office update. Most of the fixes are offered for Office 2013 and they are still there. I couldn't find any info on the autonomous office update, either.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I very much understand it is Office 2013. But in a few months of having it I've not seen a single update for it, and checking the logs I still find nothing. And I find that very odd.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think the offering of updates depends on how you initially installed Office. My desktop install was done from a DVD and there I don't get updates and don't see an option for changing that. On my laptop, I installed it using Click to Run and I had updates offered this last week.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed it directly from the Office web site via download. I've never been offered updates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are saying you did not install it as part of an Office 365 subscription then you will not be offered automatic updates. If you did install from an Office 365 subscription there is still the opportunity at installation time, I think, to accept or reject automatic Office updates.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course it was part of a 365 subscription. One year at a time, not monthly. And I was never asked about updates. Supposedly the updates were supposed to come through Windows/Microsoft updates. But that's not happening. And not any other way, either.

I like the idea of 365. But I sense a few gaps in the reality of it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can try checking File -> Account. In my downloaded version install, I have there the option to configure how I want updates handled.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Office updates through the Office 365 automatic updating process are not part of Windows/Microsoft Update, at least not immediately. As Rui said, for Office update through Office 365 check your update settings in any Office application @ File | Account (or Office Account in Outlook). If you are not being offered any Office updates through Windows Update double check your settings @ Control Panel | System and Security | Windows Update to make sure you are set to get updates through Microsoft update. At a minimum, you should get security updates through Microsoft Update.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I know where to look, all appears fine. But it seems odd to me that not only did MS deviate from their own standards, they don't even offer a 'notice', perhaps by popup next time you start Office, that the updates have occurred. Though perhaps this updating mechanism is not as buggy as Microsoft / Windows Update.

Thanks everyone!

Administrator
    Thanks
    For future use, if you want to keep track of updates see Microsoft Office 2013 Click-to-Run virtualization for more information and links.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Detailed, but no way to block updates that others have already found dangerous. I understand that MS wants this to be very easy, but I am concerned about possible consequences of uncontrolled updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast