New Lounger
    Thanks

Using Access to open a PDF/Word Document and Print on a User Defined Printer

Hi All,

I have been asked to add, to an existing access database (created in Access 2010), the ability to open User manuals/Advice documents and print them out on selected networked printers.

The documents will be either pdf or word documents, and will be located in a seperate folder on the network in order to allow for newer versions to be added.

I admit this is beyond me, i have searched the internet, and i have tried to work out from what i have found if this would be possible. Sadly, i dont seem to have worked this out.

the 2 stages of this upgrade, seem to be:

1. Creating a drop down box containing a list of all networked printer
    2. Making the Document print once it is opened

I am well aware that this simply may not be possible, so if this is a stupid question please tell me so

If, you know of a way of doing this, or can point me in the correct direction, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all,
    Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is certainly possible for Word documents, as you can use Automation to open Word and execute the print command. But you need to understand the object model of Word, and be proficient in VBA both for Access and for Word. PDF documents may be more challenging depending on your environment - if they can be opened in Word, you could use the same concept for both, but I'm not familiar with the capabilities of Word in that area, or with the challenges of programatically running Adobe Reader. Perhaps someone else can add info in that area.

You can begin to explore Automation at Automation 101 which contains links to a number of additional resources. It's a bit dated, but the concepts have not changed, and hopefully most of the links still work. The link Use Automation to Print a Microsoft Word Document using Access should get you started.
    Last edited by WendellB; 2013-09-19 at 09:16.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much Wendell,

I will look into those links and report back with my findings, in case anyone else has similar problems...

- that said if anyone has anythign to add, dont feel like you cant