New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Laptop takes 20 minutes to connect to network

Dell laptop with Windows 7 home premium 64bit. Home network with Cisco WRT610N wireless router. Network has been working fine. A couple days ago the computer could not find the network at start up. Both wireless connection and wired connection. Instead of bars connection in the task bar, it looks like small moving circles like it is looking for a network. While it is looking I can ping the router, so it is connected to the router, just looking for the network. I have a second PC that is working just fine and on the network as usual. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and have run full scan with no problems. I also ran Trend Micro House Call and no problems. I used CC Cleaner to clean things out and also checked the registry. All of no avail. If I let the process continue for at least 20 minutes or so, the PC connects as usual and everything works fine. Confused!

Thanks
    Try running Task Manager, to see if anything is running and using a lot of resources. Try killing anything running which is suspicious. If the problem goes away, you will know what was causing it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I ran task manager and checked it several times as it does appear that the PC is running other programs and I am in a queue situation. However, I could not ever find any other programs running. This is my wife's PC and I sent it to work with her today to see if she could get on the network at work or if this is definitely on her PC.

Thanks
    I'm a little unclear: you said that it does appear that the PC is running other programs; and then you said that you could not ever find any other programs running.

If nothing shows up in Task Manager, you probably aren't running any other programs. Be sure to check both the Applications and Processes tabs. Also check the Performance tab; if you click the Resource Monitor button on the Performance tab, you will get additional information. In fact, you can right-click on any item in the list and kill it. Just don't kill explorer.exe; if you do that, you will hose your Windows session!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I was not clear. I did not have any programs running, but in my opinion by the way the wireless tray icon looked (instead of bars a small circle moving around waiting to connect) my thoughts were other programs were running. However, they were not. When my wife gets home with her PC, I will try looking at the items you described.
    Thanks for the information.

Thanks
    I think it is a good test for her to try connecting at home and at work. In this way, you can get some indication as to whether the problem is related to your home network (router, etc).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved at last. After running many tests, I finally ran msconfig one more time and looked very carefully at all the entries. I normally don't pay a lot of attention to Microsoft entries as I don't usually know what they do anyway. But I noticed one entry "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run" was entered 3 times and checked to be active. I disabled 2 of those entries and rebooted. Great news, that fixed everything. I don't have any idea how it got entered three times, but it is now fixed.
    Thanks for all the assistance.

Thanks
    Great! It's always good when you solve these sorts of things.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try win patrol

i found that some programs were running and not visible through regular means
    winpatrol showed an autostart was scheduled
    i killed the program that was running (had to reboot to actually get rid of it)
    then the slow down stopped

you dont seem to have gotten that far
    but buggy scripts from some web sites suck up way too many cycles and slow things down

in your case i wonder how good your signal strength is
    sounds like it could be marginal and there are a lot of retries going on

Quote Originally Posted by dcarpenter22 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I ran task manager and checked it several times as it does appear that the PC is running other programs and I am in a queue situation. However, I could not ever find any other programs running. This is my wife's PC and I sent it to work with her today to see if she could get on the network at work or if this is definitely on her PC.