New Lounger
    Thanks

Read-Only Attribute Changes Erratically

I created a WORD document recently. The next day I edited the file and tried to save it. I got the message that the file could not be saved by that name, so in order to save the document changes, I had to rename it. I then went to the directory level for that file, did a right click for PROPERTIES and removed the "read-only" check for the entire directory and its subfolders. Yet, there is no guarantee that the "read-only" attribute will stay unchecked.

This will happen periodically without warning. I have removed the "read-only" attribute from an entire directory, do some additional work, then look again at the PROPERTIES, "read-only" attribute and it is checked again--just as if I can never removed that attribute.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running Win7 Professional.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The "read only" attribute for a folder does not mean the same thing as it does for files. See the "Cause" section at You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7. Word should know about this and not be affected by it.

Joe