Thread: Updating to 8.1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating to 8.1

I know many Windows users prefer clean installs to update installs. As a matter of fact so do I. But, my question is this. I purchased a retail version of Windows 8 Pro, wiped my laptop clean of Win 7 HP and installed Win 8. I have no problems with it and did enjoy learning the new OS. I also love the articles posted here and have learned a lot.

Windows 8.1 will be available to me as an update free thru the Windows store. So, I am faced with an update and not a "clean" install. Will this update be any different then, let's say a service pack? I haven't yet done a system image because I want the laptop to be pretty much update before accepting the 8.1 download. Does anyone feel there is any particular issue to be on the lookout for before taking on 8.1? Thanks.

Diane

Thanks

Thanks
    The Win 8.1 "update" may be more than a SP, but not a completely new OS. I am of the same mind as you when it comes to Upgrade versus Custom Install with Format. I always use the latter.

For Win 8.1, I will make a new Image of my Win 8 OS, then do the upgrade. If it does not work it's a simple process to get Win 8 back, then go the Custom Install route. No sweat! I hope this helps relieve your mind.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2013-09-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    I know many Windows users prefer clean installs to update installs. As a matter of fact so do I. But, my question is this. I purchased a retail version of Windows 8 Pro, wiped my laptop clean of Win 7 HP and installed Win 8. I have no problems with it and did enjoy learning the new OS. I also love the articles posted here and have learned a lot.

Windows 8.1 will be available to me as an update free thru the Windows store. So, I am faced with an update and not a "clean" install. Will this update be any different then, let's say a service pack? I haven't yet done a system image because I want the laptop to be pretty much update before accepting the 8.1 download. Does anyone feel there is any particular issue to be on the lookout for before taking on 8.1? Thanks.

Diane
    I upgrade whenever I can, since I really have too much stuff installed to have to do it all over again, unless I really have to. I have had zero issues with upgrades, well since Windows 95.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The Win 8.1 "update" may be more than a SP, but not a completely new OS. I am of the same mind as you when it comes to Upgrade versus Custom Install with Format. I always use the latter.

For Win 8.1, I will make a new Image of my Win 8 OS, then do the upgrade. If it does not work it's a simple process to get Win 8 back, then go the Custom Install route. No sweat! I hope this helps relieve your mind.
    It does, and thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See my recent post concerning update to 8.1.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...281#post921281