5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New computer - software question

I have W7 and am thinking of getting a new desktop. It would come with W7 at my request (I'm a home user and don't wish to deal with W8). My question has to do with the various software programs I've paid for along the way (Office, Robocopy, etc.)

Can I reinstall them on the new hardware w/o having to pay for a new license?

Better yet, what would be the best way to make the conversion to a new desktop?

Thanks,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Often you need to uninstall on the original machine. Sometimes, you can install on more than one machine. You need to check with the software vendors.

You can use the built-in Windows Easy Transfer tool to migrate your data and settings. I'd recommend examining what you currently have installed and then reinstalling on the new machine. If you are like most of us you've accumulated some programs through the years you don't use. A new machine is a great opportunity for some housecleaning.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-09-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow-on "dumb" question:
    If I use Easy Transfer, do I need to hook up a cable between the old and new machines, or can I download to an external HD and upload to the new machine?
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    No need for the cable. You can use an external HD.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Good luck with the new machine. Before you dismiss Windows 8 completely, have you checked out the Window 8 forum? There are many threads about making Windows 8 look Windows 7 for those who just can't stand Windows 8. Besides Windows 8.1 will be released generally October 18th and it addresses some of the issues that irritated users.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-09-20)

Thanks
    Dick,

Take a good look through the Sticky Threads in the Win 8 Forum. Most of these customizations will continue in Win 8.1.

When Win 8 DP was first released, I was of the same mind as you. It was so different that I just flat out did not like it. However, I decided that I needed to try to understand Win 8. Then I started hearing about these Start Menu replacement apps and lo and behold, Win 8 looked and felt very similar to Win 7, only quicker on my system.

Good luck with the transfer. I also prefer reinstalling apps. This gives me the opportunity to weed out those I no longer use, but it also gives me the opportunity to look at versions and update to the latest, or perhaps another app that will work better.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-09-20)