Thanks

are you sure you want to move read only file

anyone know why do i get are you sure you want to move read only file sometimes if if move a file in xp pro sp3

thanks

Thanks
    The fact that it's read-only probably means that any change will have to be confirmed by you.

If you move a file, you are changing the path to it. In fact, that's why moving a file is fast -- all Windows needs to do is rewrite the path; it doesn't actually move the file.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The fact that it's read-only probably means that any change will have to be confirmed by you.

If you move a file, you are changing the path to it. In fact, that's why moving a file is fast -- all Windows needs to do is rewrite the path; it doesn't actually move the file.
    sorry i dont follow any of that first para.. who else would makes changes except me?

2nd para. no i was not changing path, i moved file to another disk

thanks

Thanks
    No one would necessarily be moving files but you, but,,, have you ever accidently chosen the wrong file or the wrong action and pressed the button before you could stop yourself? This is the biggest reason why many of these "Are you sure" questions appear.

In your original post you did not mention you were moving the file to another disk. In the average use, people move files between various folders on the same disk. In this case Jim's reasoning is appropriate. If you are just moving a file to a new folder on the disk, the actual file is not moved, just the pointer (file path) to that file is changed. The system then conformed to my first comment and asked "Are You Sure?".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    anyone know why i get are you sure you want to move read only file sometimes if i move a large file to another disk. im assuming windows thinks these files are read only and not something that can be executed [as in played, or used]
    in xp pro sp3

yes i confused people by not saying they were going another disk

i dont understand one word of whats in above posts , it just sounds like an overly complicated answer to a simple question...sorry and thanks 4 ur time guys

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-09-21 at 11:07.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The simple answer is; because it's marked read-only.

If a file is marked read-only, it means someone didn't want it to get changed, moved or deleted.

Bruce

Thanks
    Read-only doesn't mean that there's no way to make any changes; it means that it is more difficult to make changes. In this way, Windows gets that extra confirmation that the change in question is actually what you want to do.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Read-only doesn't mean that there's no way to make any changes; it means that it is more difficult to make changes.
    That's not how Microsoft puts it:

When a file is set to read-only, it can't be changed.
    Prevent changes to a file by setting it to read-only

You can modify how Windows Explorer handles permissions when objects are copied or moved to another NTFS volume. When you copy or move an object to another volume, the object inherits the permissions of its new folder. However, if you want to modify this behavior to preserve the original permissions, modify the registry as follows.
    (when you move an object to a different folder on the same volume ... the original permissions are retained.)
    How permissions are handled when you copy and move files and folders

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-09-21 at 23:15.

Thanks
    What I meant when I said that it is more difficult to make changes is that you must take extra steps in order to make changes, namely, uncheck the read-only box.

Thanks
    ok
    thanks everyone, there must have been one read only file in the mixture that i transferred to the other disk. that pretty well explains it