Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Two video cards work until reboot, no onboad video

This is a post just in case anyone knows what's going on. The system is working fine with a HD4550 video card installed in a WinFast nForce vintage Athlon 4000+ dual boot system (XP + W7). Fail safe BIOS settings.

However, if I put either a 7300GT NVIDIA or ATI X1300 video card in, it boots fine and I can install the drivers and I can reboot and everything seems fine, runs as long as I wish in either OS, but then upon subsequent reboot, nothing, no post, no BIOS screen. If I shut down and let it be for an hour or so, mixed results, no boot with one card, boot with second but then no reboot again.

With the HD4550 in, no problems, survives all boots to either OS for many test days. All cards derive all their power from the PCI-e slot only. I don't have a clue.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WEll having graphic is much better than onboard for your consolation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    With the HD4550 in, no problems, survives all boots to either OS for many test days. All cards derive all their power from the PCI-e slot only. I don't have a clue.
    Hi F.U.N.,

I'll take a "Wag" at this .... Could be that your PS is marginal ,and the "other" cards draw more current ..It would be best to monitor\check the PS with a DVM (when you can't boot) ... see if everybody's up ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked up wattage use (didn't find anything for startup) in 2D, 3D, and current draw in amps. HD4550 is 14/25.5/2.1, 7300GT is 16.5/23.9/2.0, X1300 is 18.1/26.4/2.2. So they're all easy-going compared to some of the other cards. If the PS is that marginal it's probably not stable and the 4550 should start causing the same symptoms or the system should degrade in other ways as well. So far it's run continuously for many days now and been through at least half a dozen reboots, all stable.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    So far it's run continuously for many days now and been through at least half a dozen reboots, all stable.
    F.U.N.,

Hello... Still think that you should check the PS voltage ( voltages) when the PC fails to boot (In black screen mode) .... Regards Fred

PS: One other thought.... When you change cards and install drivers, on what system do you do it for XP or 7? ...Also what OS is the default?Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I agree, especially if you don't get a POST.
    Any BIOS beeps?

You might also want to get a magnifying glass and check the PCI slot for damage, and the card's PCI contacts as well.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-09-22 at 20:44.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would if I had a tester on hand, I'll have to look into getting one. W7 is the default OS. I booted and installed video drivers in 7 for the first card then went into XP with the second card just in case DOSBox was doing something funky to the video in 7 but each blanked out on the second reboot after the manufacturer's video drivers had been installed in each OS respectively. At the moment I'm reworking the XP install so I have iReboot installed to bring it right back to XP automatically and that's working fine.

When I get another system in place of the one in question I'll play three card swap again and see what happens.