5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question An appeal for help: How do I create an iframe for a Flash swf file?

I always use the Lounge for tech help, but never dreamed questions about such esoteric topics as iframes would be appropriate ... until just now when I read the latest newsletter and saw a coding question highlighted in Kathleen Atkins' column. I found this forum and search revealed other iframe type questions so here goes ...

A potential partner asked us to send an "iframe of our product demo" for inclusion in a promo article on their web site. Great opportunity, but he assumes we have a "tech team" and I don't want to admit that our tech team consists of me - and this Lounge!

The demo is a swf file. I've researched iframes and tried and tried but can't get the demo to appear within a frame and to function properly (i.e., the final screen has a clickable button that, in the demo on our site, leads to our site's Buy page, but in my attempt, it opens the Buy page inside the frame).

I would sure appreciate it if a Lounger can help me figure this one out. My level of programming knowledge is pretty basic: can "read" HTML and do basic editing in it if I know exactly what to input.

Thanks,

Linda

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Linda,

Here's the scoop. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,

Think of an iframe as a hole in a webpage (I'll call it webpage #1), through which you can view another webpage (webpage #2). In this case, the "hole" will be on your potential partner's webpage, and through that hole viewers will see your webpage.

Note I said "your webpage", not "your swf file". IOW, your swf file needs its own webpage (#2) in which it runs. Don't try to embed the swf file in the iframe on webpage #1, embed a reference to webpage #2. Thus, you need to first make sure the swf runs correctly in its own webpage #2, then simply refer to webpage #2 in the iframe tag on webpage #1. (Note the swf file and webpage #2 will remain on your site, they don't get sent to #1's site.)

Note you'll probably want to customize webpage #2 so it fits the dimensions of the iframe that will be placed on webpage #1. (Did they tell you the dimensions of the iframe they want? If not, then make it big enough to show webpage #2's swf file but not so big it swamps webpage #1's content.)

As for the "problem" of links not working correctly, it makes perfect sense when you realize they are two separate webpages. For instance, if these were two webpages open in different browser tabs, clicking a link in one tab normally changes the content in that tab, not in the other. So if you don't want link content staying confined inside the iframe, then structure your link to open a new tab or window, ala:

<A HREF="prices.html" TARGET="_blank"> Buy our stuff </A>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help, RG and dg. I've read both scoop and "analogy" replies and understand more about how an iframe works. I'll need to spend more time taking it all in well enough to act on the information so will post back once I have. This stuff is still a tad challenging for someone whose training and earlier experience was in teaching high school English!! Certainly challenging, however, and that's a good thing (mostly).

Linda