Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Refresh program source

I have been looking at Fred Langa's article about using Refresh for a clean install of Windows 8. I am running Windows 8 after upgrading from a factory installed Windows 7. The hard drive has a Recovery partition holding the original Windows 7 installation. I understand that Refresh looks for system installation information on the C drive. My concern is where will Refresh look for system information.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The following is from Microsoft:

The coolest part about Refresh is thereís no need to first back up your data to an external hard drive and restore them afterwards.

Refreshing your PC goes like this:

The PC boots into Windows RE.
    Windows RE scans the hard drive for your data, settings, and apps, and puts them aside (on the same drive).
    Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
    Windows RE restores the data, settings, and apps it has set aside into the newly installed copy of Windows.
    The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.
    Unlike manually reinstalling Windows, you donít have to go through the Windows Welcome screens again and reconfigure all the initial settings, as your user accounts and those settings are all preserved. You can sign in with the same account and password, and all of your documents and data are preserved in the same locations they were before. To accomplish this, we actually use the same imaging and migration technologies behind Windows Setup. In fact, the underlying setup engine is used to perform both Reset and Refresh, which also benefit from the performance and reliability improvements we added to setup for Windows 8.

For full article see following link:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...t-your-pc.aspx

I don't agree that it is not necessary to back up your data. If the computer is booting and running so that data can be retrieved, then it would be wise to do so. Better to be safe than sorry if refresh does not work to expectations. I don't think you have to worry about that recovery partition interfering with the refresh option.
    Hopefully the gurus can add further light upon your question.

Rich

Thanks
    I understand that Refresh looks for system installation information on the C drive. My concern is where will Refresh look for system information.
    A Windows 8 refresh will look for it's needed components on the drive it was installed on, irrigardless of whether it was an upgrade install or not.
    The Windows 7 recovery partition will not be relevant to a Windows 8 refresh.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Refresh saves user data and settings. Reset does not. Reset is in essence a reinstall with format if you will.

A Refresh should not require a person to backup his data simply for the refresh

A Reset would require a person's data to be backed up.

That said, everyone should regularly back up their data to an separate (external to the disk) media. I will go further and say everyone should consider regular Images of their whole system. Those people that regularly create new Images and even more regularly back up their data are the people that seem to have the fewest problems that are difficult and time consuming to recover from..
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is great. It is so nice to have this forum to help. It makes me a little, very little, smarter -- I have my limits. My original concern was that the Recovery partition would get in the way but I guess that is not a problem; Windows 8 will take are of it. How it finds the installation program is a mystery with which I need not be concerned. :-)
    I now have more questions. I had been using a third party program (SyncBackPro) to back up my data on an external drive. I recently went to a new external drive and have not used SyncBackPro because FileHistory seems to back up all that I need. You folks have me looking at what it does and I guess it has what I need and then more. My C drive has 202 GB used and 281 GB free. My external drive only has a FileHistory folder and it has 548 GB used and 451 GB free. Looking at the contents FileHistory keeps multiple versions of files; apparently, older versions are not deleted. Presumably, when using Refresh, only the most recent data will be used.
    Further suggestions would be appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File History Help and Medico's Image Advice

@GeoSully

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    That said, everyone should regularly back up their data to an separate (external to the disk) media. I will go further and say everyone should consider regular Images of their whole system. Those people that regularly create new Images and even more regularly back up their data are the people that seem to have the fewest problems that are difficult and time consuming to recover from..
    You will find that the Administrators and Moderators of this forum STRONGLY suggest imaging for backing up your drive even though the File History feature is turned on. I personally use both and it is easy to limit size and number of copies contained in the folder. I found the link below to be quite helpful.

http://www.howtogeek.com/74623/how-t...-in-windows-8/

Rich