Thanks

FastStone Image Viewer question

hi
    anyone knowledgeable about using faststone image viewer, questions.

would like to know how/if it can import raw from cannon

thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just try it out (File>Download photos dialogue box) and you'll soon know if it's compatible or not with Cannon RAW.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    thanks, will try in a few days

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Canon, I have Pentax. I set my camera for DNG output, which is universal RAW format. FSViewer has no problems at all showing these. You should be aware however, that most displays are converted for display purposes. FSViewer will not allow edits on RAW, but it will allow edits on other formats. The old reliable, photoshop is what I use to actually edit RAW files.
    Good Luck,
    Michael

Thanks
    Michael
    oh, thats interesting about the dng output etc. but another thing, i thought that i edited raw pix in FS that were originally uploaded from the cam with CaptureOne, so are u sure FSViewer will not allow edits on RAW, ...i will check as i could have have made a mistake

thanks

Thanks
    YES, you can import RAW from Canon..

I use it with my Canon
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    so are u sure FSViewer will not allow edits on RAW
    It's all relative. On my computer, I can actually import both Pentax proprietary RAW(PEF) and DNG. DNG is speculated to have a longer future than proprietary formats. So, I try to use DNG whenever I can. It's a simple option on my camera.
    Can FSViewer edit RAW directly??? Well, sort of. You can actually edit them in FSViewer, but FSViewer only allows saving to more conventional formats, like JPG, PNG TIFF, etc. It won't allow saving RAW to RAW. If you are OK with that, then it's a GO for you.
    For more sophisticated editing of RAW you would need either RawTherapee or Photoshop. RawTherapee is FREE. Photoshop is EXPENSIVE. I have been a Photoshop fan until their recent migration to the cloud. I'm just not a cloud person.
    My reason for utilizing FSViewer is it's display on dual monitor setups. Also it does display RAW photos without any plugins. It also has some great photo frames if you are into that. Once again though, more sophisticated frame manipulation is possible in Photoshop.
    Good luck,
    Michael

Thanks
    Mike, you're right.
    I only use it to pull pics off my camera with a card reader and then I edit them in my graphic software....
    I have Raw Therapee but never used it...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Raw Therapee but never used it..
    +1 on that one. When Adobe moved to the cloud, I have no intentions to follow them. So, I now use CS6 and will stick until something better comes along that is NOT IN CLOUDS!!!
    I experimented with Raw Therapee on the assumption that future improvements will make it better that the current CS6. Some say that Raw Therapee can do most of what Adobe RAW can do, but it is significantly lacking in user friendliness and intuitiveness. My own fiddling revealed that for me, that seems very true.
    One nice thing about Raw Therapee is that it is portable. It can easily be opened through portableapps. It does very little to the operating system. No product activation needed. The learning curve is real steep though. For now, my usage is just occasional experimenting.
    My main editing is through CS6.
    Michael

Thanks
    yes ive found it works now to import raw...thanks everybody

Thanks
    I have used FS with 3 different cams and all worked very well,I use this pgm all the time and really like very much.Not only is it free but it just does so many things.Try it you'll like it Im sure!
    Miklo