Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm Backkk! First problem ruirib.
    When creating the first email account in outlook, I go to the advanced settings. I set the server addresses and port numbers to their correct values (confirmed by looking at the settings in my current WLM), unchecked the SSL box, checked leave messages on server - as you suggested, checked use the same user name to send and receive messages, made sure that name, email address and password are correct. When I select "Next", I get the error "There's a problem connecting to the SMTP mail server". I tried it several times, changed the leave messages on server selection and tried it, and double checked the addresses of the servers. Nothing allows it to work. I tried WLM and it works fine. WLM was not running while I was doing this. Help Please!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Hmm... if you are using the same details, it may be that Charter only allows connections to its email server when you are connected to their network. A quick search showed this:

Capture.PNG

Got it here: http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...ArticleID=2355

So, configure outlook.com with their mobile settings.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying now - will report. Btw - I assume I need to establish an outlook account for each of our two Charter email addresses?
    Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - went to Charter and read/printed the page you referenced. Makes good sense. Back to Outlook - OOps! It takes all the mobile setup data, except, it will not allow me to put in the incoming port as 993. It wants me to choose 110 or 995, neither of which will work since Charter wants 993. What now? See what I mean about this being complicated - a guy could make a good living just consulting on syncing email! Thanks again!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Seems you won't be able to connect through port 993, on Outlook.com. So now you have two options:

1. Use outlook.com and forward your charter email there. The page I linked before explains how to do it. When sending, you will have no issues.
    2. Dump outlook.com and use gmail instead. gmail allows you to read from port 993.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - Here is where I'm at. Went back to WLM after discovering that Charter will permit the use of IMAP. Created two new accounts in WLM (one for me and one for Bride) using my same addresses from the POP accounts. Worked fine. Transferred all of the messages in inbox and sent items folders of POP accounts to the same folders in IMAP. Deleted the POP accounts. Everything appears to be fine - except - I then discover that the message rules function of WLM cannot be used with IMAP. In order to sort incoming messages to folders, I will have to create the folders at Charter's server and use their message rule system. This is ungainly since, for instance, I want messages from family members to go to a folder called "Family", but this will require a Family folder in my account and a Family folder in the Bride's account. Not very handy. I also discovered that I no longer have the option of using Outlook to control my email since it will only work with a POP account.
    I am now thinking over this whole email on multiple devices subject and wondering if I wouldn't be better off using Outlook based email addresses, using IMAP for multiple device access, and be done with it. Any thoughts out there on whether this makes more sense than what I am doing with Charter and the limits on rules? Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you have to decide; two separate accounts or merge them by forwarding both to one account and see if you can figure out some label or folder rules from there. If you still want to access mail at the Charter account then ya can't do that, simple.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am quite confused by all this. I have two computers in different rooms, one wired to the Modem and the other on Wi-Fi. Both show identical Hotmail screens and what happens on one also happens on the other.
    When my daughter visits us, she sometimes checks her mail on my computer; she uses Netscape Mail, and it shows up on my computer same as on hers(and she lives five miles away). Apparently if you use the right mail client, synchronization is automatic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12