Thanks

Red face Windows 8.1 "In-place" Upgrade to Wndows 8.0 : First Impressions

I have just installed the latest TechNet version of Windows 8.1 (ISO) (choosing the "upgrade" option) over my existing Windows 8 Pro 64-bit installation, using my existing Windows 8 product key. (After doing a full original system backup to an external hard drive). The upgrade proceeded well, but a number of my installed programs either had to be re-installed, or repaired due to the Windows 8.1 Program Compatibility Assistant reporting "Re Install Required". The following cases are listed for your info:

a. VMWare Workstation version 9.0.2: "Compatibility Issue". I "ran the program anyway" and found I was unable to connect to the internet. I carried out a VMWare Installation "repair" and now the program works fine, but still starts "via" the Windows compatibility issue error screen (one is, however, offered the opportunity to "run the program any way" and "do not show this again".

b. Classic Shell V3.9.5. Beta: I had to uninstall and re-install before it would work. All fine now. Note: The Classic Shell Icon has NOT replaced the Windows Start Icon at the lower right corner of my desktop screen, but clicking on that icon does open Classic Shell (In Classic Shell Setup, you can, however replace the start icon with the Classis Shell start icon if you wish). The Classic Explorer toolbar does NOT work with Internet Explorer 11. I assume this will be addressed in due course. (EDIT: See next post by fellow Lounge member)

c. Norton Tool Bar and Norton Identity Safe (By Symantec): Incompatible with IE11. I presume Symantec will sort this out soon after the public release of Windows 8.1 (It can, however, be enabled by disabling "Enhanced Protection Mode under Advanced options in Internet Explorer 11 Tools).

d. Garmin Express (to manage my Garmin GPS): It had to be re-installed, and now works just fine.

e. The first time I attempted to use Microsoft Project 2013, I was surprised to see "setting up Microsoft Project" appear on the screen. A few seconds later, however, the program opened and worked just fine. The same happened when I first clicked to run Microsoft Outlook 2013: "Setting up Microsoft Office" appeared on the screen, and a few seconds later Outlook opened with no changes to the original setup.

f. For those who like the old Windows Gadgets: The latest version (V8.0) of the Windows 8 Gadget Pack DOES work with Windows 8.1 Available here: http://8gadgetpack.net/

g. My printer driver re-installed the first time I turned on the printer.

h. My home network group had to be re-activated the first time I tried to access it.

In all other respects, my Desktop and Start Screens (including all my Windows Apps) still look the same (except for some appearance/colour changes to App icons) as before the upgrade. Windows Explorer does, however list directories and Libraries slightly differently, but not in any way that causes confusion (Woody's Windows Secrets article on the "Final Version of Windows 8.1" explains the change to Libraries in Windows 8.1.

My original boot-up option to boot to the Local Desktop and not to sign in to Windows Sky Drive/Windows Live was not altered by the upgrade; nor were my original chosen document directories.

So far, so good!!

(It will be interesting to see how Windows 8.1 will install as an upgrade via Windows Update (as intended by Microsoft).
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-09-24 at 12:01. Reason: Added a sub-paragraphs (e), (f), (g), (h) and change noted in RED
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    The Classic Explorer toolbar does NOT work with Internet Explorer 11. I assume this will be addressed in due course.
    Classic Shell has a toolbar only for Windows File Explorer, not for Internet Explorer. All its features work as expected on Windows 8.1, the toolbar loads fine in File Explorer and the status bar/title bar additions work for Internet Explorer.

Thanks
    @xpclient: Thanks for correcting my error!

But note that there is a Classic Explorer Bar add-on in IE11 which is Disabled UNLESS you disable "Enhanced Protection Mode" under Advanced options in Internet Explorer 11 Tools

(See Tools, Manage Add-ons in IE11 and note whether or not the particular add-on is enabled or disabled)
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-09-26 at 07:41. Reason: Combined 2 posts
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I attempted to upgrade my Dell XPS laptop from Windows 8 Pro x64 to 8.1 Pro x64, using the Technet issue of Windows 8.1 RTM. But it wouldn't accept my existing Windows 8 Pro product key (a purchased upgrade key.)
    Peter, what was your existing Windows 8 product key? I wonder if mine being an upgrade was the reason it wasn't accepted.
    I was planning to see what issues 8.1, as an upgrade, would throw up, but don't wish to use a Technet key (which will expire next year.) I could go ahead and use the Technet key, and then restore my image, but I'd prefer to avoid doing that.
    I dual boot W8 & W8.1 (installed on a separate physical drive, using the Technet key) on my desktop, so know that the DVD is OK.

Thanks
    @Imodra. My Windows 8.o Product Key was for a full Windows Pro version (not an upgrade). Maybe that is the difference?

Lounger
    Thanks
    @petesmst
    Thanks for your reply - I wondered if my key being an upgrade had a bearing, hence my query about your key. I'll wait for the windows update version of 8.1