3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 Time on Y-axis?

Iím diabetic. I use a glucometer to measure my glucose readings in the morning before breakfast. See the below example.
    Time Readings
    8:37 AM 126
    5:16 AM 108
    8:43 AM 113
    6:02 AM 142
    9:10 AM 128
    8:23 AM 138
    8:39 AM 124
    8:38 AM 116

There are occasions when the time reading is the same for different days. For this immediate paragraph, the glucose readings are irrelevant. My doctor wants to see how my readings are at a particular time of day. My readings should be less early in the morning. I want to display the time on the Y-axis, and the glucose value on the X-axis. I want the time to display from the earliest reading to the latest reading, in time. I can sort the data. My problem is getting the time on the Y-axis.
    Bob Wall

Thanks
    Make an XY chart selecting Glucose as X and time as the Y and format Y as time. See attached

[Personally I do not like having the dependent variable as Y, it defies convention and suggests that your glucose reading can affect what time it is, when it is actually the reverse.]

Steve
    PS it shows that the readings at 5-6AM are lower than 8:30ish
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-09-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the response. Now I have to figure out how to work an XY chart. I have to figure out how to include all of my data, and then change the axes.

Youíre correct about a lower reading early in morning, which is the way it should be. As I consume insulin, my reading should go up later in the day. The doctor wants to see how I do before breakfast and beginning activities for the day.
    Bob Wall

Thanks
    If you rearrange the columns to put X on the left on Y on the right, format the axes as desired, and remove the label for the x-axis (you can re-add later), the wizard can do the work for you.
    Select the data range including the header row witht he blank X,
    Insert, choose XY and choose type, (for non-sorted I would just pick points and not lines)

The chart should be created as desired (with the axes formatted. Then you can move (not copy) the columns in the other order and add the X-data label.

Steve
    PS if you start with my chart and append additional data, you can select a point in chart and it will "mark" the datarange with colored rectangles that can be stretched to include additional data...

Also inserting rows into the data range and inserting the dataset into that range will also expand the range of the chart
    Last edited by sdckapr; 2013-09-25 at 05:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

BobWallToo (2013-09-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you again. I switched the data around with other charts, but it gave me undesirable results. I didn’t try it with XY charts. In fact, I think this is the first time I’ve ever made an XY chart.
    Bob Wall

Thanks
    If you do not use an XY, the X-axis are categories and the Y's are values. With an XY, both the X and Y are values...

Steve