Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    In my experience with Image for Windows and Image for DOS, I have never had a failure to restore an image; no restore failure of any kind. I have had failures in image creation, and every single one of them were due to the drive having bad sectors. In one case the drive could not be corrected by chkdsk, but my last images from that drive were all current. This was a case where it was really, really needed, and nothing was lost. Over the years I've had a few of those really, really cases, and I've never been disappointed.

Having an imaging regimen plays into a total maintenance routine that allows one to avoid major problems or loss. Bad sectors can go unnoticed for an extended period of time except for when I run Image for Windows or Image for DOS. They both will Fail creating or validating an image on a drive with bad sectors. But my imaging regimen insures that I have a recent drive image at the ready. Of course chkdsk /r will also discover if there are any bad sectors, but I create drive images more often than I run chkdsk.

Image for Windows and Image for DOS both allow for restoration of an image to a different drive geometry. It's in the GUI in the menu options for restoration. For example, my laptop has a motherboard capable of BIOS or UEFI, and was shipped with BIOS/MBR setup. I wanted to convert it to UEFI, which requires that the drive be wiped and converted to GPT. This was easily accomplished booting Image for Windows from a thumb drive.

Image for Windows and Image for DOS also can facilitate a total drive image, by which I mean the entire drive, all partitions and partitioning geometry, and all data contained within those partitions. This drive image can be restored to any drive that is at least the same size or larger than the original drive. As for partition/logical drive images, they can be restored to any partition/logical drive large enough to contain the data. For example, my OS logical drive is 61,435MB, but I can restore the image to a logical drive as small as 28GB.

I've been using the TeraByte imaging software for well over a dozen years (since the end of the last century), and I've never had an issue with restoring a drive image to a good drive, regardless of layout/geometry differences. Of course, I'm very familiar with how it works, what I'm doing, and what my options are in most any given situation.

There are others on these boards who use different imaging software, some free and some paid, with similar results. For those of us who rely on drive images, it's tried and true and we all recommend drive imaging regularly. It's not just warm and fuzzy, it works time and time again.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-10-21 at 14:41. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Probably the HP recovery attempt changed your disk. Did you check what partitions you have now and compare with what you had before?
    That could very well be part of the problem. See this thread , particularly post #6.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    These recent imaging apps usually handle image restoration to a different sized disk or partition without any issues. I don't know EaseUS, but Acronis does it without any problems whatsoever.
    Yes, Acronis is quite flexible in that respect as long as the data fits in the intended destination it will restore it.
    Bob
    Win 7 Pro - IE11, Win 8.1 Pro - IE11, Office Pro 2013, Acronis TIH 2014

Thanks

Question reply to alan.b: post #7

"When I first moved from XP to Win-7 I did not quite master how to put a total stop to [Microsoft] updates."

being new to rejecting ms automatic updates, I know I would be interested in what you have learned; perhaps others would be also.
    can you point to a procedure posted online, or perhaps share you method?

thank you
    Last edited by BigFatBoy; 2013-10-21 at 12:08.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatBoy View Post
    "When I first moved from XP to Win-7 I did not quite master how to put a total stop to [Microsoft] updates."

being new to rejecting ms automatic updates, I know I would be interested in what you have learned; perhaps others would be also.
    can you point to a procedure posted online, or perhaps share you method?

thank you
    Simply open up WU and select "change settings". From there select "Never check for updates" in the drop-down menu.
    This has worked in all versions of Windows, and I've never had to resort to anything more extreme, like disabling a service or something.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

BigFatBoy (2013-10-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wasn't there a period when Microsoft forced some updates on us even when we turned off Windows Update as per your method? I seem to recall two or three times when i went to Shutdown a message appeared saying Windows is installing a Critical update before shutting down, or words to that effect? Maybe it was before they released Service Pack 1 ?

Thanks
    I set Windows Update to notify only. I've never had an update pushed to my knowledge.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Wasn't there a period when Microsoft forced some updates on us even when we turned off Windows Update as per your method? I seem to recall two or three times when i went to Shutdown a message appeared saying Windows is installing a Critical update before shutting down, or words to that effect? Maybe it was before they released Service Pack 1 ?
    I've never encountered that issue in W7, XP maybe, but not W7.
    The transition from W8 to 8.1 never turned WU back on, of course it flagged it on several occasions via Action center.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    There were a few "stealth updates" for a period, I think it was in 2010. Susan Bradley and Woody Leonhard were both actively watching the issue at the time, and neither has mentioned "stealth updates" much since about 2012. I personally got the Updates Mechanism in Windows XP and Windows 7 "stealth updated" twice (around 2010-2011), but never recently.

I placed Windows Updates on Notify but Do Not Download in about 2008, after a particularly nasty System Kernel Update disaster which forced me to reinstall Windows XP on my laptop. Turned out to be an outdated driver issue. Never again, I vowed.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123