New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive ID correction

Hello all.
    I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desk top computer.
    After using Wipe Drive, reinstalling the Windows XP operating system and drivers, my hard drive is identified as Local Disk (F). The (C) drive is labeled Removable Disk.
    Is there a simple maneuver to relabel the hard drive (C)?
    Every file to be reloaded needs to have its destination changed from C to F.
    Where did I drop the ball? Thanks for your time.
    Brad

Thanks
    Brad,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

You can accomplish this via Disk Management.
    That said this could seriously mess up your Registry.
    You do not specify the Windows version but I'm assuming XP based on the Dell model number.
    You should read this MS KB Article first.
    Here's another relevant article. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-10-14 at 14:33.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek

Thank you for a speedy reply.
    The PC is running Windows Home Edition with Service Pack 2. I have the IE Explorer upgraded to IE 8 via the MicroSoft site.

The MS link is very informative. When attempting to print it, a long pause is followed by the Windows needs to close now box, shall I send a report? All freezes. I click do not send and all goes away. I would like to try the proceedure as listed. Perhaps the article may be cut and paste to a word file. The office word has not been re installed as yet. It would be good to have the article in hand.

Should I botch the Registry, I would imagine that one can Wipe the drive and re install all via the XP CD.

I think the hard drive id goof took place when restoring the Windows XP with the factory CD. If I remember correctly I chose the only partition area listed to reformat/partition. I do not recall a letter id request for the hard drive.

My back ground in PC service is limited. I don't mind a challage though. Nothing like a trial by fire!

Regards
    Brad

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek

I was able to print and follow the MS bulliten. With the first try there were no drive indicator changes. The second try I really stepped in the Kimshi!

Windows XP rebooted ok, but stayed frozen in the blue field. So I figured I would wipe the drive and start fresh. The wipe drive CD spun as before. A black screen soon appeared. No instructions on the Display.

After waiting a bit, the restart command was given. Now the boot sequence states part of the XP setup is missing and stops. I have booted from normal and all the choices in F8 safemode.

I appreciate your time and suggestion. I am the one who rode the bike into the mine field.

What are your thoughts? Something I might try or do I need to take the PC down range?

Brad

Thanks
    Brad,

Not being there it is somewhat hard to give really good advice. However, my inclination at this point would be to to a clean install from the CD media.
    Hopefully, you have a backup of your data so you can use the Clean Install option on the Install CD to wipe the hard drive. Please read all prompts carefully so you make the correct choices. Don't forget to run Windows Update until it is clean BEFORE you install any programs.

You might want to wait a couple of hours in case someone else here has a better idea.

FWIW: Before Medico jumps in I'll beat him to the punch and mention that If you had Image backups with a good program like Macrium Reflect or EaseUS TO-Do backup you could have recovered from all this in less than an hour. HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When you install again just disconnect any external drives and the card reader if present and the system drive should end up being the C: drive.

Thanks
    F.U.N,

Very good point!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs