5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pros and cons of a centralized firewall

LANGALIST PLUS

Pros and cons of a centralized firewall

By Fred Langa

If you're looking for an extra measure of online security, a centralized, hardware-based firewall can help up to a point. Plus: Preserving XP via slipstreaming, Windows product keys and OEM setups, and using the free Contig tool for special-purpose defragging.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/pros-and-cons-of-a-centralized-firewall/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My experience with touch

I recently replaced my eee netbook with an Acer Aspire V5 11.6" touchscreen. At first the touch screen was just a novelty, but I find my self using touch more and more. In so many cases, it's easier than dragging the pointer with my track pad. One thing I find extremely helpful is swiping to open the dreaded tile interface and typing the first few letters of the program I want to run. (Oh, so the Modern Interface isn't inspired by Satan after all). One major problem with touch is that many websites and programs weren't designed to work with touch yet, and sometimes it's still necessary to use the track pad. One particular problem is that sometimes swiping scrolls the page, while other times it highlights text. Web and program designers now have the added task of making their products touch friendly. This is still a lot simpler than the transition from DOS to Windows where programmers had to learn a completely new system. And, oh yeah, the greasy screen.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Slipstream XP install disk

I can't find a thread for the "slipstream" comment, but I'd like to disagree, in part. The reader should be warned that the "image" option will probably only be useful if he restores onto the same hardware. If he gets a new computer and wants to recreate his XP installation, he will be like the guy facing Clint Eastwood wondering "Is this my lucky day?" If it is, the newly restored image will boot the system, wake up realizing it's not in Kansas anymore (to mix a movie metaphor), and seek or request new drivers. If it's not his lucky day, he gets an "OS cannot be found" message and a flashing cursor. Press any key to exit. At that point, if he REALLY wants his XP back, he's gonna wish he had done the slipstream install disk.
    That said, I fully agree with your final option: Go with Windows 7; it's better in every way.
    Pat Dennis