New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual-boot possibilities

I have a dual boot system, both are XP and both are 80Gb. ProTools running on one side with no internet access and a few other music related programmes. The other side is my main internet computer with Office, Photoshop Elements etc. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrading my music setup which works fine so my question is how do I go about having the music setup unchanged on XP and my internet side upgraded to Windows 8?

Can anyone advise me whether my computer would be able to handle this?

Given that XP will soon be unsupported I ought to be thinking about along these lines!

Thanks, Colin

Asus P5B Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz
    4x G.skill DDR2 1024 MBytes
    2 storage hard drives - 320Gb and 500Gb.

Thanks
    There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7 or 8, so your programs would have to be reinstalled. Your PC appears to have hardware capable of Windows 8. The Upgrade Assistant can help you with that.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply,

My main concern is that if I do install Windows 8, will it have any effect on the Music setup running XP and will the dual boot startup remain the same - except I'll be booting into Windows 8 after the installation.

Thanks for the link - it lets me download the Upgrade Assistant which seems to do nothing at all when I run it!!?? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Try this link instead. Windows 8 will only effect the OS that you are upgrading in your dual boot setup. The other OS that you are not upgrading will not be effected at all.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    You may want to consider doing a backup of your current setup . . . just in case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2013-09-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    You may want to consider doing a backup of your current setup . . . just in case.
    Good advice, and I should have included it. I've edited my signature to make that a default piece of advice in all my replies.

Unleash Windows

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

SpywareDr (2013-09-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for reminding me of that - I would do that normally as a matter of course - thanks for the helpful replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For future reference it's worth noting that, when setting up dual-boot systems, whichever version of Windows you install last will become the "default" operating system (meaning it will be the OS that boots up if you do not select a system at the dual-boot screen). It's also worth noting that you can easily change that on the BOOT tab of the msconfig screen.