New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get Windows 8 to boot directly to desktop?

How do I get Windows 8 to boot directly to the desktop? (I have eliminated the lock screen so it boots directly to start screen now) I googled this question and went to a site that "told me how to do this". I followed directions exactly, restarted my computer and it did not boot to the desktop AND it totally messed up my beautiful new computer. Dell tech support is telling me that I may need to reinstall the operating system Computer is working , but not as well as before I did this.

I would very much appreciate help.

Thank you very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are various third part applications that will let you do that. You can search this forum to find them. If you are OK with Windows 8 as is otherwise, you can just wait until the last half of October when Windows 8.1 is released. It will be a free upgrade for anyone with Windows 8. You can configure Windows 8.1 to boot directly to the desktop.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anguslechat View Post
    I googled this question and went to a site that "told me how to do this". I followed directions exactly, restarted my computer and it did not boot to the desktop AND it totally messed up my beautiful new computer. Dell tech support is telling me that I may need to reinstall the operating system Computer is working , but not as well as before I did this.

I would very much appreciate help.
    If you need help to undo what didn't work, you should tell us what directions you followed at which site.

Did you try a System Restore?

Bruce

Thanks
    I installed StartIsBack, and now Windows 8 boots directly to the desktop. It also has a Windows 7 style start button and start menu.

You can use it free for 90 days (I think), and after that, it is $3 for use on two machines.

For me, Windows 8 with StartIsBack installed is like a more efficient version of Windows 7.

There are other programs besides StartIsBack that you can install; that happens to be the one I use, and I am very pleased with it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce-Just before I looked at your post, I thought about trying a system restore. The Dell tech people undid what I did. Apparently it messed up the registry. Naturally I can't find the site now. I did learn a BIG lesson. If you've never heard of the site before, be really cautious about going there!

I have Dell XPS all in one, and their tech people are really good (They are not the regular Dell Techs.).

I am going to try a system restore. Will I lose data?

Thank you for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I will hold off on a shell until I see how Win 8.1 goes. My husband has Classic Shell on his computer, and I think it slows computer down (as does whatever I did to my computer). Is there any utility that can check my system and fix whatever I messed up?

Thank you for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe-You are right. I ought to wait.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    StartIsBack won't slow down your computer, and it is extremely easy to use. It will take you about five minutes to install it, including the time it takes to go to their website and download it. I believe that it will resolve all of the concerns you currently have with Windows 8.

Based on what I have been reading, you probably will be able to boot directly into the desktop with Windows 8.1; but if you're looking for more than that (i.e. the start button and the start menu), I don't think you'll get it with Windows 8.1.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One should go into the Classic shell settings and disable checking for a new version all the time because that will cause a momentary pause sometimes when it checks. Otherwise I use it extensively and don't notice anything else affecting performance in any way.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was initially looking for a start menu. I think I shall wait to see what 8.1 is like before I attempt any more changes.

Thank you for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the short look I had at Classic Shell, I was truly underwhelmed. When I have more time, I shall give it another look.

Thanks
    I use both Classic Shell and Start8 on our PCs. Both work very well, and both allow booting directly to the desktop. I believe Win 8.1 will also have this option although it is disabled by default.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Classic Shell is GREAT for those who boot to desktop in Windows 8 or 8.1 and want to "feel at home" (just as they did with Windows 7 or earlier). To use it with Windows 8.1, you will need to use the Beta version of version 3.9.5 (or, of course, any later version).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I recommend waiting for Windows 8.1. Get to know it. Learn how to customize the boot process and start screen to fit how you work. Then decide if you need a third party program.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have not upgraded to Windows 8.1 yet.

Boot To The Desktop - For Windows 8 and 8 Pro

Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked in Folder Options. Just for file verification purposes.
    Re-check it afterwards if you want.

Create the "Show Desktop" file:

Open a text editor like Notepad. (not Word or Wordpad)
    Copy and Paste or type the following into the text editor:

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Do not have any extra spaces at the top and do not "Carriage Return" (enter) to next line at the end.

Save the file as - Show Desktop.scf (actually any name you want, just remember it)
    When you see the file it will have the Desktop icon but it will not have .scf at the end even with "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked. Right click the file and go to properties. It should have "Type of file: File Explorer Command (.scf)" and the name should be just "Show Desktop" with no extension.

Copy the file to the "Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder.
    There are more than one "Startup" folders in Windows 8 and 8 Pro. Put it in this one:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Close everything down. Restart your computer.

When it boots up, it will pause at the "Start" screen until it reads the contents of Startup.
    It will then go to the Desktop with nothing opened up.

Side note: If you want something to open automatically when you boot up, put it in this same Startup folder after Show Desktop.