3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Flash drive problem

I have an interesting problem with a 1GB flash drive I have been using to back up my data files.

The drive can be divided into 2 parts: an open part and a protected part which can only be accessed by running a program called "USB Disk Utility" which came with the drive and entering a password. You set the drive up using the same program so you can set the size of the two parts. How this is accomplished I do not know because I haven't found a way to access the mechanism for doing this. I do like the feature but haven't found it on any other flash drive I have purchased.

Normally I store my data file backup on the protected part and use the open part for all other files.

Now when I try to use the drive on my main Win 7 computer, Win 7 cannot read the drive - it comes up with 0 available space and no occupied space. Also the USB Disk Utility previously mentioned returns a "no disk found" error message.

I tried a different flash drive and it works properly so I don't think it is a computer hardware issue.

Now for the interesting part. If I plug the drive onto another computer running Win 7 it appears perfectly normal. All the files on the open part show up and I can access the protected part as I normally would.

Even more interesting: I have a Win 8 partition on my main system and have it set up to dual boot. The drive works properly when I boot Win 8.

I am thinking there is some sort of driver issue but haven't been able to locate it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What brand?

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is IPSG. I bought it at Micro Center and I believe IPSG is a house brand.

I was able to solve the problem by repairing the USB Flash Drive Utility on the Win 7 partition.