Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

HELP converting .txt to excel with certain data stripped out and reorganized

Hey everyone, I don't have the skills to write a macro to do what I need with converting this txt file for use in Excel. I attached a screen shot with highlighted data that I need and the actual txt file itself, all the other stuff in the txt is useless to me. I sure would be grateful if anyone knows how to assist me, thanks!!
    Last edited by spencearini; 2013-09-27 at 11:34.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    With some brute force I moved some of the data could probably do the rest, but this txt file isn't conveniently structured for easily opening with Excel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    KWEAVER, Thanks for the look over on this, I need a way to continue to load a few of these .txt's and convert them in the future so I'm looking to learn how to do this or have a macro that will assist. I would still need the following bits of data to come over as well seen in the attached.
    Last edited by spencearini; 2013-09-27 at 11:54.

Thanks
    In these case I would suggest going to the source of the output and request that they rearrange in a more useful fashion for your needs. The coding should be easier from the source data than would be in trying to creating coding after the fact to fix output problems

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you post your xl files as the jpg are a bit hard to read

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve, thanks, but that's not possible at this time and has already been discussed prior to my entering this request for assistance in the forum, I don't want to come off too strong in my feedback to you but if I had the ability to extract this data differently I wouldn't be here now. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Motivated
    Last edited by spencearini; 2013-09-27 at 11:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the info in a little better form to see:
    Last edited by spencearini; 2013-09-27 at 11:57.

Thanks
    If you really can't solve the problem and must resort to just working around the real issue, I would suggest at a minimum that you provide an example TEXT file (with at least 2 "sections") [the before] and an excel file of exactly what you want the results of the conversion of the sample file to be [The after]. If you want to provide an excel file of the samples you already provided, that is fine, but I think smaller rpresenative ones woule be sufficient and easier to manually create the excel after files.

Since the JPGs are difficult to read, I would also suggest that you list in the post, or in the example file, the various requirements. The before file should be representative of any oddities that might creep up in real-life so that those things can be taken care of.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, can you confirm that the only rows you wish to retain are the ones containing "CS". That could be a starting point to delete all the rest of the rows?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand where "CS" is coming from, where are you seeing that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Last edited by spencearini; 2013-09-27 at 11:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will be back to post a file for discussion once I complete some additional stripping with TextPad, thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Macro .csv/txt to Excel worksheet assistance

Hello, I need a macro or other method that can take the csv attached (it's actually in a .txt. form Windows secret doesn't allow .csv uploads) and conform it to the layout of the Excel worksheet attached--"Future". Thanks in advance!
    Product 23 - Copy.txt
    Product 23-Future.xlsx

Thanks
    What is the logic of the future file? Why is Baker Hill and Orlando not in the data set? Why are there some blank rows in the dataset? How is the code supposed to know these things?

If the "future file" is wrong and those items are supposed to be there and the blanks are not supposed to be there, you don't need a macro at all. You can imprort the file. Add an autofilter to the Unit column and filter on everything that is NOT "CS". Then delete all those rows, then remove the filter.

Steve
    PS forgot to mention, then delete the unwanted columns as well
    Last edited by sdckapr; 2013-09-28 at 05:38.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

spencearini (2013-09-28)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast