New Lounger
    Thanks

Spontaneous hibernate/sleep win 7

I recently re-installed Win7 Home Premium 32 bit sp1 on my desktop. It spontaneously hibernates/sleeps it may go for a few days then suddenly closes down maybe a few times in an hour or so I wait a few minutes then hit the enter key the PC returns to where it was before closing down with no loss of data I then continue using the PC as normal. Annoying is the word I use. This is what I have done in my quest for a solution. 1 Change power settings to "never" 2 Edited the registry to disable hibernation 3 Even tried two small programs which are supposed to stop hibernation/sleep then uninstalling same after finding they were useless 4 upgraded monitor driver 5 all other drivers are up to date I'd like to upgrade the bios which I know has been upgraded in the last year that's beyond my capabilities. It is currently F4 23/3/2012, Piriform Speccy confirms Hibernate has been disabled. The screen saver has also been disabled. I use a wifi network with a Netgear dual band router I use the slower option. It is connected to a Netgear cable modem. Three other PCs connect to the router two wifi one wired. Only one the wired pc Linux Mint OS is on at any time beside the Win7 pc it number crunches data for a research project. I have no trouble with the three PC's. So the problem is therefore confined to the one PC which I use for everyday activity surfing, emails etc. I know I'm making a hard ask anyone have any ideas how I can solve this annoying problem. Thank you in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Could be a hardware problem.
    Do you have a sleep key on your keyboard?
    How is the power button on the PC configured?

Do you have any third party programs to define hot keys?

Joe

Thanks
    Try running "powercfg -energy" from an elevated command prompt and see if anything in the report helps isolate the problem.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7638/...er-efficiency/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 & Jwitalka thank you for your replies. I'll check out your suggestions later. Busy day here its Australian Rules football finals day. Australian Rules Football ? Clue. It was originally based on Irish football. Could be also called our religion lol. Got to have my priorities right. Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517 I don't have a keyboard sleep key and no programmed hot keys as for a configured power button I don't know what this is all I do is hit the power button to boot up to commence computing.
    jwitalka I've run "power -energy" as you suggest I've printed out the results some results I understand some I don't . As far as I can see the report confirms my systems settings. I'll give it further investigation.
    I use a UPS because my area is subject to storm activity and other weather events not to forget the occasional brown out from the electricity supplier. I've discovered power settings/plans should take into account UPS usage. I'm following that line of investigation as well. Thankyou for your suggestions the problem at this stage is in the annoying category I don't loose any data when I hit the enter key the system returns to its prior state without lose of data. I just happened now. Regards From Down Under

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could try a repair install. while in windows insert your windows CD (you will need your activation code) choose install then custom install and choose upgrade option.
    This should repair any system files back to default without losing your data and most installed programs should still run.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's not just the monitor going black (top button in the power menu for each power type)? It sure sounds like it's restarting faster than a wakeup from hibernation, so sleep or monitor off are more likely.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou collectively for your replies. Its 24 hrs and I haven't had any problems. I've disabled hibernate and stopped sleep from appearing as one of the selections after clicking the start orb I did this for both via the registry. I must admit not sure if the sleep option has been disabled by this action. I discovered as mentioned in a previous post that power settings are different for a system with or without a UPS which I use. I've changed the power settings to a system with UPS. I'll give it until the weekend to see if I've beaten the problem. I'll make one more post with the result. Thankyou again for your suggestions. Regards from down under