Thanks

Laptop Dual Monitor Docking Station Issue

This is with my work computer, a Dell Latitude E5520 running Windows 7 Enterprise. I use a docking station with a second monitor connected to it. In this arrangement, I have the external monitor as the primary with the laptops screen as the extended screen. On (very?) rare occasions, on boot up, the laptop screen does not come on even though the computer "thinks" it has. Short of rebooting, which is the only way I have found so far, is there a way that I can get the laptop's monitor to "turn on" when this occurs?

Thanks
    Did you try pressing [fn]+[F8]?

Note that it may be a three-way toggle. Press [fn]+[F8] once to toggle to an external monitor, press them again to toggle both monitors on, and press them once more to toggle back to just the laptop screen.

Thanks
    I'll try that when it happens next time. (I was not aware of that use of the F8 key.)

Thanks
    There should be little peanut-butter colored icons on the [F8] key that look like an open laptop next to an external monitor. The peanut-butter color is the same color as used on the [Fn] key down by the WinKey (the key with the white Windows logo on it). The fact that they are both this color indicates that you would press both to activate/deactive/toggle that particular function.

For example, if the [F1] key has the little peanut-butter colored moon icon on it, that means that by pressing [Fn]+[F1] would put the computer to sleep (or hibernate). [Fn]+[F3] (with the peanut-butter colored padlock on it) would lock the computer. [Fn]+[down-arrow] would dim the display and [Fn]+[up-arrow] would brighten the display. Etc., etc.

Thanks
    Thanks, but I have only had this happen twice since I first posted.

As to using F8, all it is for me is a hot key way to access a dialog to change the monitor settings such as between extended and external monitor or built-in only. It does not "turn on" the built-in monitor if it does not turn on after I have "logged in" during boot-up. This seems to suggest that my issue is a boot time one that likely does not have a resolution other than to reboot my computer.

Thanks
    Does it happen without the docking station?

Thanks
    Nope.

Thanks
    Then the problem could be the docking station.