3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle Bin icon keeps changing

My son's computer is running Vista.

The recycle bin full icon keeps reverting back to the same icon that's used for recycle bin empty (in other words, the recycle bin icon on the desktop always shows as empty, even when there are files in the recycle bin). The bin can be emptied normally, or opened to see what files are inside, but the desktop icon always shows an empty bin.
    I have gone to desktop/personalize/change desktop icons and tried to change the full icon back to what it should be, or to return the icon to its default, but it either doesn't change, or it changes for only a short time and then reverts back to showing and empty recycle bin.

Any idea why this is happening, and how I can fix it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

try running "sfc /scannow" in an admin command prompt to let it check for system file errors. May not do anything for your problem but it also may do.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    My son's computer is running Vista.

I have gone to desktop/personalize/change desktop icons and tried to change the full icon back to what it should be, or to return the icon to its default, but it either doesn't change, or it changes for only a short time and then reverts back to showing and empty recycle bin.
    LesF,

Hello... From time to time i have had this happen on Vista as well .. .You need to make sure that you do the procedure that you described for both "Icons" Make sure that you click on Change Icon>Then select it from the Images> Then Click > "Apply" each time. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-09-29 at 06:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Clive, if I recall correctly, running sfc /scannow requires inserting an original Windows installation disk. My son's computer (an HP) of course didn't come with a Microsoft original disk (although it has a recovery partition). Therefore, I don't think I can run scf on his computer (I may be wrong).

Fred, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Clive, if I recall correctly, running sfc /scannow requires inserting an original Windows installation disk. My son's computer (an HP) of course didn't come with a Microsoft original disk (although it has a recovery partition). Therefore, I don't think I can run scf on his computer (I may be wrong).

Fred, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.
    LesF,

Hello... No.... "sfc /scannow" does not require a disk ( sometimes for XP) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, that's interesting. Apparently, Win versions later than XP no longer have an i386 folder, where I would expect the replacement files to reside in case sfc finds a problem with a system file. So, absent this folder (either on the original installation disk or on the hard drive), where would sfc find the files to replace any damaged system files that it finds?
    Also, Windows Update might have replaced some original system files as part of one of its updates. How does sfc determine whether some of the files it needs to access (to replace damaged files) have been updated?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    where I would expect the replacement files to reside in case sfc finds a problem with a system file. So, absent this folder where would sfc find the files to replace any damaged system files that it finds?
    LesF,

Hello... I "cranked up" my Vista OS and here is a list Regards Fred

PS: Can't say about "Updates" as i never apply any patches or updates on a working OS ... unless i need to
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows Vista, Win7, & Win8 use the WinSXS folder to service Windows. All of the files should be there.

See WinSxS Folder in Windows 7 | 8 explained. It applies to Vista too.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, looking at your list (which is just a list of search results for i386), it appears that there is more than one i386 folder, in several places. I don't believe that these are the equivalent to the i386 folder in XP (but I'm not sure of this, so consider this statement a question).

Joe, thanks for the info on the WinSXS folder. So, are the files in this folder updated when Windows Updates are installed? If not, how does SFC track the latest files?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, looking at your list (which is just a list of search results for i386), it appears that there is more than one i386 folder, in several places. I don't believe that these are the equivalent to the i386 folder in XP (but I'm not sure of this, so consider this statement a question).
    LesF,

Hello...You are correct ...it's not like XP (one folder) they are split into two main folders.... the one shown ( about 1.5GB) , and winsxs .. Almost 9 GB on my Vista Regards Fred
    PlainFred