New Lounger
    Thanks

table of contents (Word 2000)

Is there a way to make a collapsable table of contents in Word, especially when the TOC is in a left frame? Ultimately, I'd like the left frame to look and function like on-line help.

KTYorke

Re: table of contents (Word 2000)

I think you may want to look into making your document a PDF and use Adobe's bookmarks for a TOC with the feel of online help in a side frame. This, of course, is if you don't want anyone changing the document.

If you want users to be able to change the document, you may get what you want by choosing the Document Map on the Standard toolbar.

If this isn't what you're looking for, please elaborate.
    have fun

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, KTYorke. I've never worked with the Document Map, so I'll experiment with that. PDF is not an option. I'm creating a navigable document management system to organize 100's of documents, and the client wants to keep it in Word. He does not want the additional development PDF and WinHelp will require, (nor to purchase additional software). And for future maintenance, wants to be able to simply add new documents to the "tree." Word does everything I want, except collapsiing the TOC. If the TOC does not collapse and expand, it will be too cumbersome to navigate.

KTYorke

OK... I'm still not entirely clear on what you're going for here. How are you creating a Document Management System (DMS) within Word?

The Document Map will be useful for navigating a single document... not a bunch of them. (well, in my experience... maybe you'll be able to find some more functionality with it)

Are you trying to reference these 100s of documents in one document?

Maybe you could look into MS binder. Not sure how many different documents it can hold. I never even knew I had it until someone pointed it out. But from what I've seen it do, it could be useful for you.

FWIW, In your travels poking around Word, whatever you do, and many here on the lounge will back me up if you need it, Do NOT use Master Document. Do a search in this forum for Master Document and the warnings will pop up like weeds.

have fun

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the warning! That's exactly what I had planned to do, use a MD to "compile" the TOC so users could navigate to the docs they wanted. So far I haven't had any problems (excpet for the cumbersome multi-level TOC that won't collapse), but really appreciate the heads up. I'm not overly experienced with VB, but am wondering if that can be used to create a collapsable TOC. Does anyone know if VB might be a viable solution?