Lounger
    Thanks

Backup connection data

Hi. How does one backup all the connection data entered for email accounts, dialup connections, etc. Where is this stored? I have experience using batch files and PKzip2.5 storing the full pathname, if I only knew where this data was! I have Win 95 and Office 97, and IE and Outlook Express 5. Thanks, Russ[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]

maxg

A few hints

I'm not sure if you can successfully export all that info to re-use for new install or re-install.

Here's how I investigated Account info for Outlook express:

I used InControl5 to launch OE, changed a mail account server, then quit OE.

Incontrol reported the following keys changed: (NOTE: that one of the "Cryptography" keys generated a new "Random Seed" so I'm guessing you wouldn't get the passwords after importing these keys to a new install)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Account ManagerAccounts

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftCryptographyUser Keysusername

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftProtected Storage System Provideri]username[/i]Dataa hex numberanother hex numbermail342BCBC0

Also: I have tried to save / re-install the "Protected Storage" key to preserve the Auto-insert name-password for IE logins. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] The names popped up, but not the passwords!

Hope that gives you some idea what's involved. I think it's probably a good "feature" that you probably can't export/import password info; at least you can reasonably assume someone else can't "borrow" it!

Link to ZDNet's In Control 5: http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,001CV2,.html