Thanks

Suggestions for Chrome extensions?

Hey y'all!

I've been a veteran (er, maybe that's "victim") of IE for the past decade or so. Only recently have I made the switch to Chrome, and I seriously regret not doing it sooner. Never did realise how slow IE was, until I sat down at my bro's computer and fired up Chrome. Speed was one of the main factors for the switch and another main reason was the availability of a plethora of add-ons and extensions. I've already installed Adblock, Ghostery, LastPass, Magic Actions for YouTube and Awesome Screenshot. I'd really like to install more such extensions but I have no clue where to begin. Can you guys be kind enough to name a few extensions you absolutely cannot live without? Something which makes Chrome perform better or add useful features?

Thanks,
    maligo.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Beware that a lot of extensions can negatively affect memory usage and performance.

I don't use many extensions, but there is an essential one for me, that saves memory and allows me to go back to URLs I want to keep - OneTab.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up Rui. I'll be sure to only install useful extensions.
    And I checked out OneTab on Google. Looks extremely useful but is there any way to make sure that all new links when clicked on, open in the OneTab extension instead of opening as new tabs?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maligo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Rui. I'll be sure to only install useful extensions.
    And I checked out OneTab on Google. Looks extremely useful but is there any way to make sure that all new links when clicked on, open in the OneTab extension instead of opening as new tabs?
    I don't think it was meant for that. The purpose, as I see it, is to keep a set of links you may want to visit or revisit, while saving hugely on the memory required and easing up management of the links / tabs. Considering this, I think opening any link in a new tab makes sense.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Oh, I get it. Thank you Rui, this extension looks really useful. Will install it at the earliest.

Any other suggestions guys?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find that AdBlock and LastPass work quickly and quietly to manage ads and passwords. No other for me.

Thanks
    The more extensions you add to a browser, the greater the likelihood of slowing things down and/or causing problems. Keep them to a minimum and make sure you really find them useful before installing.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out PriceBlink extension for Chrome. At home we use it to keep up with the lowest price for tech items. Example: you go to look at an SSD at Newegg.com. A couple of seconds after the web page loads a PriceBlink banner appears across the top of the page with a drop-down menu arrow which shows you the price for that product at a bunch of other websites such as Amazon.com, BestBuy.com and many more. Suggest you enable it when shopping but leave it disabled the rest of the time as it may slow down webpage loading elsewhere. For a while we used the DoNotTrack extension, but it definitely slowed down almost every webpage load so we disabled it. We also disabled Google Docs and IE Tab unless we need them for something specific. These choices seem to keep Chrome running pretty fast. And, if you have 6GB or more of RAM you can safely have 15 or 20 tabs open, no problem.

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I've decided to stick with the add-ons I currently have and maybe install a new one when I want a feature that Chrome doesn't support (e.g. limiting the number of days History keeps track of). However I have two questions:

1) There's an option in an add-on I saw in my bro's PC that allows the him to increase the number of days History keeps track off to huuuuuuuuge values. The crazy dude completely erased his History folder today and had the add-on set to preserve 400 days worth of History! I'm curious as to whether this will slow down Chrome.

2) Does AdBlock actually help to load a page faster by blocking ads before they are downloaded to Chrome? Does it help reduce data consumption?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Check out PriceBlink extension for Chrome.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll install it but I'll enable it only when I'm shopping, just like you said.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Priceblink sounds very dangerous. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Priceblink sounds very dangerous. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!
    How so?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett