Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to spend your first hour with Windows 8.1

TOP STORY

How to spend your first hour with Windows 8.1

By Woody Leonhard

Windows 8.1, currently available on MS TechNet and MSDN, should roll out on Oct. 17 for both new PCs and Win8 upgrades.

Here's what every knowledgeable Windows user should know about setting up Win8.1, whether they're coming from Windows 8, Win7, Vista, or XP.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-spend-your-first-hour-with-windows-8-1/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

DrGeneNelson (2013-10-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody, in your article today about Win 8.1 you mention Foxit and junk apps during the installation. I have another one which I think is very bad. I have been a long time user of Avira Antivirus Pro (paid) and now released a couple of days back as Avira Antivirus Suite 2014. Unlike earlier versions this one is OK for Win 8.1.

During installation you are asked if you want to install a fancy toolbar with some supposedly useful function. I always decline and that is the end of it. The reality is that this toolbar is put out by the AskPartnerNetwork aka APN and www.ask.com. Like always I declined to install this toolbar. However at the end of this installation I was asked to activate the toolbar on IE11 despite refusing to install it.

As I pointed out to Avira, I consider that this toolbar is close to being spyware. They did not comment except to point out how to uninstall the toolbar. It is possible to uninstall it by just going to Control Panel ==> Programs and Features and doing a conventional uninstall. It removes the program folder but does leave a couple of registry entries around but since they refer to the program folder (now gone) they seem to be harmless.

I find it hard to believe that Avira would install this toolbar after being told not to. It is a considerable risk to their reputation as a security vendor. When renewal comes around I will be looking for a new AV supplier.
    Bob
    Win 8.1 Pro - IE11, Office Pro 2013, Acronis TIH 2014
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Here's what every knowledgeable Windows user should know about setting up Win8.1, whether they're coming from Windows 8, Win7, Vista, or XP."

Well, I'm a satisfied XP user and couldn't find any reference to what I should know.

What I did learn though, is that unless hours of tedious hassle with an operating system is what turns your crank, sticking with XP is by far the best move at this time.

I have a relatively large home system that has been built up ever since XP made it's first appearance. It contains perhaps a hundred or more applications and patches/add-ins/plug-ins to those applications that even the thought of having to reinstall them under a new operating system is enough to make me seriously consider giving up computing as a hobby. I mean stuff from Adobe (Photoshop, Lightroom), and Photodex (Proshow Producer), and dozens more required hours of installation and tweaking to get them to work smoothly. Only at gunpoint will I go through all that again.

As much as I dislike sounding like/becoming a luddite, but if it ain't broke I don't fix it. Win XP, with MS Security and Malwarebytes for protection, has served my every computing need perfectly well for years. At this point I haven't been given any reason to "upgrade," other than threats from MS that support will no longer be available.

I sure would like to see a short article on "How to upgrade your Win XP system to Win 8.1 (or ???) the easy way." And by "easy" I mean, insert disk in drive and reboot. I'll come back in an hour to find my Win XP gone, Win 8.1 will be installed and operating PERFECTLY, and ALL my applications will be present and accounted for, and also operating PERFECTLY. As far as I'm concerned, computers are supposed to be doing all the work... not ME. So, programmers, get with it. Program a conversion program that works to accomplish this task, or turn in your certificate of competency! In the meantime, you keep playing with your unnecessary/unasked-for "upgrades" and leave my XP alone.

Lounger
    Thanks

And the next hour, and the next, and...

Quote Originally Posted by rae2 View Post
    "Here's what every knowledgeable Windows user should know about setting up Win8.1, whether they're coming from Windows 8, Win7, Vista, or XP."

Well, I'm a satisfied XP user and couldn't find any reference to what I should know.

What I did learn though, is that unless hours of tedious hassle with an operating system is what turns your crank, sticking with XP is by far the best move at this time.

I have a relatively large home system that has been built up ever since XP made it's first appearance. It contains perhaps a hundred or more applications and patches/add-ins/plug-ins to those applications that even the thought of having to reinstall them under a new operating system is enough to make me seriously consider giving up computing as a hobby. I mean stuff from Adobe (Photoshop, Lightroom), and Photodex (Proshow Producer), and dozens more required hours of installation and tweaking to get them to work smoothly. Only at gunpoint will I go through all that again.

As much as I dislike sounding like/becoming a luddite, but if it ain't broke I don't fix it. Win XP, with MS Security and Malwarebytes for protection, has served my every computing need perfectly well for years. At this point I haven't been given any reason to "upgrade," other than threats from MS that support will no longer be available.

I sure would like to see a short article on "How to upgrade your Win XP system to Win 8.1 (or ???) the easy way." And by "easy" I mean, insert disk in drive and reboot. I'll come back in an hour to find my Win XP gone, Win 8.1 will be installed and operating PERFECTLY, and ALL my applications will be present and accounted for, and also operating PERFECTLY. As far as I'm concerned, computers are supposed to be doing all the work... not ME. So, programmers, get with it. Program a conversion program that works to accomplish this task, or turn in your certificate of competency! In the meantime, you keep playing with your unnecessary/unasked-for "upgrades" and leave my XP alone.
    Thank you, rae2, for brightening up my day. Yes, Woody, there is someone else in the world who is still happily working - hard and fast - with good old XP.

When I saw the title, I was going to write something along the lines "why not do something useful with your time rather than learn about yet another reincarnation from Microsoft".

As rae2 said, I want my computer to work for me, not the other way around!

All the best from your Luddite friend in Phuket!

Lounger
    Thanks
    In the past, anything that required a 'work-around' was typically considered a bug!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody,
    In your article you said "Windows 8 and 8.1 have two types of accounts - Microsoft and local - and choosing one over the other isn't especially easy."

I'm about to build a new PC and I plan to install Win 8.1. It will be my first Win8 machine. My account choice is "local." How exactly do I specify that? Does it ask during installation, does it ask later, do I need to know some trick?

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I guess the quick one-sentence summary here is that Windows 8.1 is just about the same as what one would have with Windows 8 plus Classic Shell. Honestly, if one does not have a touch-screen PC, unaugmented Windows 8 Metro is an serious impediment to doing real work. And it took Microsoft's vaunted user interface research people how long to figure this out???

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Every one of these software installs that asks you if you want to install a toolbar is just one millimeter this side of installing spyware. The only real functions of these gawd-awful toolbars is to get you to use THEIR search engine, FWIW, and to generate revenue for whichever software package is being installed. And the search engines get revenue, too, whenever their search passes you through to some commerical web site. Toolbars are all about the benjamins.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You refer to PDF-XChange Viewer as a free program. But, so as I could find it is not free, but only a trial version available. Uninstalled immediately.

Thanks
    The free version can be found on this page:
    http://www.tracker-software.com/
    Look for the "Get Free PDF-Exchange Viewer" icon at the upper left.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody, please don't confuse people by saying Win8 is "two OSes in one." It is not. It is one OS with two distinctly different user interfaces. The OS is the low-level software that controls access to the hardware, the file system, security, and so on. Microsoft likes to blur this distinction, too, but you certainly know better.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody, 8, 8.1 or 8.99 if it were not for the "Start 8" app I'd have dumped this OS within a week and gone back to Windows 7. At least I have a rational start menu and GUI. This is one instance where you can put lipstick on a pig to good effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody,

The Web Of Trust (WOT)
    WOT
    blacklists your choce of download sites for 7zip.

The WOT posters recommend http://www.7-zip.org/ as the original site.

ABG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmokover View Post
    Woody,
    In your article you said "Windows 8 and 8.1 have two types of accounts - Microsoft and local - and choosing one over the other isn't especially easy."

I'm about to build a new PC and I plan to install Win 8.1. It will be my first Win8 machine. My account choice is "local." How exactly do I specify that? Does it ask during installation, does it ask later, do I need to know some trick?

Thanks!
    In win 8.1 Microsoft does not make it easy to "go local". They only present you with the Microsoft option. You have to ignore that and select Add Account on the same page. Follow that through and you will be asked what sort of account and then you can select local. If you select Microsoft then "you are all the way with the NSA".
    Bob
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The free version can be found on this page:
    http://www.tracker-software.com/
    Look for the "Get Free PDF-Exchange Viewer" icon at the upper left.

Jerry
    When you install it you will find it has an online search function. One of those search providers is ASK.com. You should adjust the order of these so this one is at the bottom or turn off that function completely.
    Bob
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast