Star Lounger
    Thanks

DirectoryNow! Win65 utility, on Win7sp1

As a new user of Windows7 sp1 on a new 64-bit Dell Precision M4700 laptop, I have been frustrated by my inability to persuade Windows Explorer to search only for folders.

So by using Windows7's Compatibility Mode, I managed to install a Windows 95 utility called DirectoryNow! (or DirNow!). I began using it in Windows 95, and continued using it in Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and now Windows 7sp1.

When instructed to do so, DirNow! makes an index of all folders (either in partition C:, D:, or both). Its usual position is a small window (writing area one line high) in the lower right corner of a computer screen. After typing the name --- or part of a name --- of a folder into that one line high window, and then taping the enter key, the small window expands vertically as needed to list all of the folders with the typed name (or part). Then the user selects the desired folder, and Windows Explorer goes directly to that folder. Over the years I have found this to be a very quick way to get to a particular folder.

But in Windows 7, on my Dell laptop, one flaw is that the little DirNow! window goes all the way to the screen's bottom right corner. It is so low that the typing area is underneath the task bar. That is easily fixed by clicking on the little window's DirNow! label and dragging the DirNow! window up to where all of it is visible and usable. But the next time the user turns off or restarts the computer, the DirNow! window goes back to the screen's extreme lower right corner.

One of DirectoryNow's components is a DirNow!.ini file. That file includes two lines:
    PosX=1617
    PosY=964
    PosX specifies the pixels of screen width (starting at the left edge) that would position the DirNow! window horizontally, and PosY specifies the pixels of screen height (starting at the top, I think) that would position the DirNow window vertically. In my experience with WinXP (and earlier) on a Dell C840 laptop, those settings could put the DirNow! window wherever the user wanted it.
    (The PosX and PosY numbers are my estimates of where the DirNow! window should be on my current Windows7 laptop, with screen dimensions of 1920 horizontal and 1080 vertical pixels. But I also tried smaller numbers. All were ignored.)

And in DirNow!.ini there are two additional rows:
    FindBoxWidth=640
    FindBoxHeight=256
    If the word "Find" hadn't been there I would have concluded that those numbers specified the DirNow! window's dimensions. But given that the word Find was there, I never could be sure that they were DirNow! window dimensions, so I let them alone.

Unfortunately, Windows7 --- or maybe my modern laptop screen hardware --- pays no attention to PosX and PosY. Although dragging the DirNow! window after every turning on or rebooting the computer is not a difficult task, it would be nice if it were not necessary. And I'm very curious about why my laptop doesn't pay attention to those PosX and PosY settings.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

__________________________________________________ ______________

P.S. DirectoryNow! was created as a free utility by Paul Smith, a professor at a University in Australia's province of Tasmania. When I was using Windows95, Professor Smith and I exchanged some emails, but then after he mentioned in an email either that he was tired or ill (I don't remember the details), he did not reply to any more emails from me. I concluded that he had either retired or passed away. When I asked the university (assuming I got the right one) for information about him, I got no replies.
    DirectoryNow! came to my attention in a 1997 Utility Guide's "Miscellaneous Utilities," in PC Magazine (Ziff Davis), Vol. 16, No. 7, issue of 08 April 1997, pages 180-181. (Thornsoft's ClipMate 4 was described in the same location.)
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2013-10-03 at 05:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check out Windows Search Tips, Tricks, Advanced Query Syntax for Windows 7, Vista, XP. You can use AQS to limit a search to folders.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2013-10-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517:

Thanks very much for the link to The Windows Club website --- which I'd never heard of before --- and its Windows Search Tips, Tricks, Advanced Query Syntax for Windows 7, Vista, XP website.
    I have bookmarked that site for future use.

I gather that AQS is a third party add-on to Windows Explorer. It does a lot more search customizing than DirectoryNow! does.

But an AQS search for a folder apparently is a lot more complex than DirectoryNow!.

In the website table Common file properties, the table headings are
    To restrict by file type - Use - Example
    and the folder settings are
    Folder - folders - kind:folders
    Foldername - foldername - foldername:mydocs

That makes me think that in AQS, finding a particular folder requires the entire folder name (in the table, mydocs). DirectoryNow! lets me type a fragment of the folder name, and then I get a list of all folders containing that fragment, from which I can select the folder I want. And since DirectoryNow! finds only folders, I don't need to use commands such as kind.

So at least for now I will stick with DirectoryNow! But, as noted above, I have bookmarked The Windows Club not only for its search capabilities, but also for its other "Tips, Features, and Downloads."

Thanks for inviting AQS searches, and The Windows Club, to my attention.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Administrator
    Thanks
    AQS is native to Windows Search. It just stands for Advanced Query Syntax. You can see several Microsoft links at windows 7 advanced query syntax.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2013-10-05)

Thanks
    Try Everything Search. WWW.Voidtools.com.
    Download the beta. It will allow you to just search for folders by clicking on search on the Menu bar and will start producing results as you type.

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2013-10-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka:

I have not looked in depth at Everything Search (at WWW.Voidtools.com), but your description suggests to me that it might be a good alternative to DirectoryNow!.

But does your description, "It will allow you to just search for folders by clicking on search on the Menu bar and will start producing results as you type," mean that the user must start typing beginning at the desired folder's name? DirectoryNow! doesn't require that. I can use a fragment from anywhere in my recollection of the folder name that I want to get to.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. You might find my reply to JoeP517 interesting. It should appear directly below this message to you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517:
    I haven't yet had the time to figure out the differences (if any) between The Windows Club's Advanced Query Syntax (at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...d-query-syntax) and Microsoft Windows Advanced Query Syntax (at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx).

But these alternatives are more complex than DirectoryNow! because they have commands. For many purposes those commands would be useful. And I very much appreciate knowing about them.

But in DirectoryNow! I don't have to learn or even think about commands. I just have a small window into which I can type a fragment of the folder I want to go to (the fragment need not be at the beginning of the folder), look at the results, select my desired folder (or folders if I select more than one), and I am promptly in the desired folder (with any other desired folders nearby).

When I started this thread I started out by saying that "I have been frustrated by my inability to persuade Windows Explorer to search only for folders." But now I wish I had never said that, because it has distracted this thread away from why the DirNow!.ini settings --- PosX=1617 and PosY=964 (those numbers are only examples) --- that positioned the small DirNow! window in Win95, Win98, Win2k, and WinXP, were totally ignored in Windows7. Everything else inDirNow!.ini works.

I would have thought that Pixels are Pixels, on my ancient WinXPsp3 32-bit Dell Latitude C840 and also on my Win7sp1 64-bit Dell Precision M4700. Even if I dumped DirectoryNow! in favor of Advanced Query Syntax and/or Everything Search, I still would wonder why DirNow!.ini position settings don't work in a much newer operating system and a much newer laptop.

Meanwhile, while I continue to use DirectoryNow!, I will find the time to learn more about Advanced Query Syntax (and Everything Search).

Thanks again for inviting my attention to The Windows Club and to AQS.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2013-10-05 at 03:00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFolsom View Post
    jwitalka:

I have not looked in depth at Everything Search (at WWW.Voidtools.com), but your description suggests to me that it might be a good alternative to DirectoryNow!.

But does your description, "It will allow you to just search for folders by clicking on search on the Menu bar and will start producing results as you type," mean that the user must start typing beginning at the desired folder's name? DirectoryNow! doesn't require that. I can use a fragment from anywhere in my recollection of the folder name that I want to get to.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. You might find my reply to JoeP517 interesting. It should appear directly below this message to you.
    You can jut type a fragment. It doesn't have to start at the beginning.

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2013-10-06)

Administrator
    Thanks
    The AQS information in the Windows Club is the same as MSDN it is just presented a little differently.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can just type a fragment. It doesn't have to start at the beginning.

Jerry
    Thank you! I will assume that you haven't had any problems with Beta Version 1.3.3.658b. I have downloaded it, but not yet installed it. I hope it gets out of Beta soon, but since it hasn't been updated since June, I'm guessing that it is pretty stable now.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2013-10-06 at 23:32.

Thanks
    I have been using it for a couple of months and haven't noticed any issues.

Jerry