New Lounger
    Thanks

In XP: Outlook Express email message Web link failure

(NOT CURED BUT SOLUTION FOUND) Recently I find that I am having trouble connecting to a web link that is contained within an email - my laptop fails to connect and seems to stall. I can still move the mouse pointer around the screen but regardless of what I try to get it to do nothing happens. It won't even respond to Ctr/Alt/Del. I have to switch off and restart. My laptop runs on WINDOWS XP Home Edition Version 2002 service Pack 3 with OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6. Can anybody advise as to what the problem is? Do I need to update to a newer version of Outlook Express?

KenFish
    Last edited by KenFish; 2013-10-04 at 10:41.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does your browser open?
    Which browser are you using?
    Any error messages?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe

I am using Internet Explorer 8. This browser opens up OK and I then click on the mail box symbol to open up Outlook Express. When I try to open a web link contained in an email nothing happens. I don't get any error messages.

Ken

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds serious when the task manager won't even come up. What I would try first is make Chrome or FF the default browser so a link in OE is directed to a different browser than IE. See if that makes any difference.

There are no further updates for OE so you'd have to try a different email client altogether to "upgrade." I use WLM 2009 on the XP systems and it is still quite similar to OE in that version.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

KenFish (2013-10-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. I tried Chrome and had some success although when Chrome opens up it says that some of the features are missing - not sure which ones though! Had more success with Fire Fox and will use this in future and still able to use my current version of Outlook Express.

Thanks
    Some things that may look like a link in an email, are actually not links at all but just a line of text.
    That's usually controlled by the program that originally did the email, (whether it's set to make links ACTIVE) and not your computer. That's also an option in MS Word.

I get those things all the time and the only thing I can do is copy the link and paste it into my browser (Firefox). An Active link will usually show up in BLUE and will be active. A link in black will usually NOT be active and I'll have to do the copy & paste trick to get it to work.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor

PS: Like, Forever, I.E. has been so UN-Safe that most of us old timers have used an alternative browser, like Netscape. Firefox was originally built on the Netscape engine, or so I was told. I've used nothing but Firefox since it was in early Beta Testing. Over 1 million users downloaded Firefox on the day it was formally released. Since then, I've stayed current with new releases. Today that is Ver 24.0
    There is also a full page of Tweaks to Firefox to make it run faster and more efficient. As these Tweaks are proven, they eventually wind up in the latest ver. of the program. A Google search for "Speed Up Firefox" will get you to those Tweaks.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-10-10 at 09:02. Reason: Added Info
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!