Lounger
    Thanks

Partition advice needed

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, and my system HDD is partitioned as:

Local Disk (C (49GB used, 173GB remaining.)
    RECOVERY (D (3.88GB)

For image backup purposes, I want to enlarge C: by a few GB (to accomodate any future additional programmes),
    and establish it as a separate partition, as there's no point in backing up 173GB of unused space.
    I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master, so have a required program to do the job.

But I'm unsure of the sequence of events and how to go about it. Could someone advise me please.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    We'd have to see a snapshot of disk management to be sure but it looks like you just have two partitions, C and D, and you want to make that into three, and it is the C partition that you want to make into two partitions?
    If so, make a new image of your system first in case anything goes haywire, then the operation in EaseUS is select the C partition and use the Resize/move partition operation and simply drag the right side of the partition down to the size you want the new C partition to be. Ok and apply the operation (a reboot to a safe runtime environment may be required).
    When that is finished simply make a new partition from the space that you made available after shrinking the C partition.

Lounger
    Thanks
    To clarify, it seems that 'RECOVERY' is on a parition, and the remaining space is filled with C: - which is not on a partition of it's own.

Disk Management.jpg

Thanks
    For image backup purposes, I want to enlarge C: by a few GB (to accomodate any future additional programmes),
    and establish it as a separate partition, as there's no point in backing up 173GB of unused space.
    Imaging programs do not backup unused space, so there's no need to repartition for that reason.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thatman View Post
    To clarify, it seems that 'RECOVERY' is on a parition, and the remaining space is filled with C: - which is not on a partition of it's own.

Disk Management.jpg
    C and D are two partitions on the same disk. If you still wish to adjust the size of C, the procedure described above still applies.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, especially the info that "Imaging programs do not backup unused space."

F.U.N. downtown:
    a reboot to a safe runtime environment may be required
    Could you explain this, it's a new one on me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll explain with an analogy...One does not try to change a flat tyre while running 75 mph on a road. One pulls off to a safe area, jacks up the offending quarter and changes the tyre.

Same applies to changes to the operating system partition; EaseUS partition master needs a safe place to make the changes specified.