New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 & Opening pdf files

A problem when opening a pdf file in Windows 8 -

Whenever I open a pdf file (using Adobe Reader) I receive the following error message -

Microsoft Office Outlook

Either there is no default mail client or the current email client cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default email client.

Once I click the "OK" button on the error message I can then access the pdf file normally with all functions seemingly intact.

I am running Outlook 2013 (office 365 subscription) and needless to say it is set as the default email client. I never use (or try not to use) METRO, and always open straight to the desktop using "Classic Start Button".

There are also a few other anomalies as well; ie. when trying to reply to a web-based email address sometimes the Metro-based WinMail opens, plus there are a couple of other (non-Microsoft) programmes which will not re-direct through a link to another programme.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Craig

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce -

Thanks for your reply but the fix says that it does not apply to my operating system (Win 8) nor to my application version. The Microsoft fix it file (easy fix version) would not run so I figured I shouldn't try manually.

Thanks.

Craig

Thanks
    Have you tried a different PDF Reader? I use PDF_Xchange Viewer and uninstalled the Adobe product. Never looked back. In the latest WS Newsletter, I believe in the paid content, Fred Langa mentions he also uses PDF-Xchange Viewer rather than several other free PDF Viewers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico.

I do subscribe to the WS Newsletter (paid version) so shall go and have a look.

We have always used Adobe Reader quite successfully (for our limited uses) and it's only this Win 8 based machine where the problem has cropped up.

I've been very happy with Win 8 in almost all aspects so far, apart from this pdf file opening issue and it's preference for opening that stupid Metro Mail application rather than Outlook when trying to send an email from a web-based email address link. All three entities involved are straight MS products so I cannot comprehend why this is happening or that others are not finding the same issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Have you tried a different PDF Reader? I use PDF_Xchange Viewer and uninstalled the Adobe product. Never looked back. In the latest WS Newsletter, I believe in the paid content, Fred Langa mentions he also uses PDF-Xchange Viewer rather than several other free PDF Viewers.
    Excellent recommendation. We are seriously considering replacing the Adobe Reader with PDF-Xchange Viewer at work. It also has an occasional vulnerability but the vendor is very quick to release fixes. And its not the pig that the Adobe reader is.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try this software: http://download.cnet.com/BullZip-PDF...7_4-85827.html, its for printing pdf docs but it can also open pdf files. Not sure but i think i can help u.

Thanks
    I am always leery of downloading anything from cnet any more. There are always so many of those piggybacked apps and toolbars that no one wants. Be sure to find and opt out of all these.

I have also never heard of BullZip previously so I cannot recommend it at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    intowindows.com and techmell.net plus many other webs recommended this soft, so i told about it. You can download it from any other web if you want.