2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permission denied

I've set up a homegroup and also workgroup. All my PCs are running Windows 7 Home Premium. The Public folder and my user folder on my tower computer and their contents are accessible on my laptop. I allowed sharing of another folder on a different drive on the tower computer and it shows up as shared on the laptop but when I try to open it, I get the message that I do not have permission, and I should ask my administrator for assistance. I am the adminstrator, and properties for the folder show that it is accessible by everyone. Username and password are the same on both computers. So, what is the problem here?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I restarted the laptop in the hope that would solve the problem. Instead now the tower has disappeared from the HomeGroup listing on the laptop, though the laptop appears in the Network listing. And on the tower, its own name appears multiple times and its former name also appears multiple times. Gag.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We had a similar problem once. To overcome it we first cancelled the Homegroup on all computers. Then we made sure that every desired folder was set to share in the folder's Properties dialog box (right-click on the folder, select Properties). After doing this on all computers we set up Homegroup again and it all worked OK.
    If all computers on your network are running Win 7 then why do have a Workgroup set up? Usually, a Workgroup is only necessary if one or more of the computers is running Win XP or Win 2000. Could the Workgroup be somehow interfering with your Homegroup, i wonder?