Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The word on VLC

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The word on VLC

The official reviews of the VLC media player are quite positive; user reviews are not. I've downloaded it twice this year and subsequently removed it, without even trying it, as so much "junk" is installed at the same time. I spend too much time tediously uninstalling the junk, resetting my browser home page, etc.

Two questions:
    - Is VLC really the class act in free meadia players?
    - If so, is there a way to download and install it without all of the junk?

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used VLC for years to play all sorts of media and never had any foistware. Usually you un-tick the "do you want to install this really good extra program at the same time" question.
    Did you download it from VideoLAN: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/2.1.0.html

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    The official reviews of the VLC media player are quite positive; user reviews are not. I've downloaded it twice this year and subsequently removed it, without even trying it, as so much "junk" is installed at the same time. I spend too much time tediously uninstalling the junk, resetting my browser home page, etc.

Two questions:
    - Is VLC really the class act in free meadia players?
    - If so, is there a way to download and install it without all of the junk?

Thanks.
    I have used VLC sucessfully for years and never had any junk installed with it. In fact, I just uninstalled it and reinstallled the latest copy and nothing else came with it. Where are you downloading it from? You should get it direct from this page:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

If you still see additional junk installed, download and run Malware Bytes:
    www.malwarebytes.org

VLC has played everything I've thrown at it without having to load any additional codecs.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the same experience as Paul & Jerry above.

It will play just about anything you throw at including media files which are still in a rarred state (no need to unrar/unzip) for example.

I've never had any form of sideload either. Make sure you are downloading from the official site and uncheck boxes for additional software.

ETA: I've just went through the installation process from Paul's link and wasn't offered any other software.
    Last edited by Browni; 2013-10-04 at 11:49. Reason: More info

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Additionally, in the case of media players, the perfect venue for delivering ads and promotions is built in. VLC seems to be absent of those while others have various levels of intrusion on that front.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. I downloaded from this site and everything worked fine.

I'm not sure which site I downloaded from before, perhaps CNET. However, I had the same experience twice (months apart). I always uncheck optional downloads, so I don't believe I was offered that option from the site I used. It installed a search bar in IE 9 (I can't use IE10 as there is a bug (confirmed by a web search) that produces garphic anomalies with the graphic card in my pc), changed my home page, and installed several other programs that I had not yet encountered when I searched add/remove programs.

Anyway, I'm grateful to you all for your leading me to the correct site!

Thanks
    VLC is STILL the best free media player around, just make certain you download it from the maker's site and NOT anywhere else.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    VLC is STILL the best free media player around, just make certain you download it from the maker's site and NOT anywhere else.
    I agree, have used it exclusively for years without any problems or short falls.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloading from the right site is the key. I just tried my Chome browser and it, like IE9, defaulted to the home page and search page (Sun...)installed during the earlier VLC installation.

Thanks to everyone for steering me on the right path.

globalist

Thanks
    Happy we could help.

Jerry

Thanks
    Where you download any file from can cause problems. Especially from CNET.
    This has been discussed here before...

What I usually do is try to go directly to the authors website to d/l...I found that taking the extra time to hunt down the authors website is always best in the long run.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    ... which goes for any open source software. I recall a while ago someone took Audacity (sound recording and editing software), compiled it with a load of malware and dangled it in front of people on a genuine sounding website (something like Audacitydownload.com) and for a time, this malware site was listed first if you Googled for Audacity. The genuine one is http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. This is quite a common trick. As ever, vigilance and a good virus checker are indicated, not to mention careful googling.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately (since July, 2013), Sourceforge has started to emulate Download.com (CNET) and users get a “SourceForge Installer” which bundles the software with third party offers (Windows users only - as far as I can tell).
    https://sourceforge.net/blog/today-w...urce-software/
    To install the download, you must be hooked up to the Internet.
    To be fair, not every download is included yet (Filezilla is included - Ask Toolbar), and so far, you are able to opt out by clicking the 'Decline' button with no ill effects.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sirpaul1 For This Useful Post:

Tomegun (2013-10-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know of a number of otherwise respectable download sites that have taken up the practice of generating revenue by forcing downloaders to "consider" downloading bloatware before they are allowed to download the software they came to the site for. It can be difficult to identify these other offers and distinguish them from things you must agree to before you are presented with actual links to download the software you want. Browser producers routinely enter these kinds of deals with "toolbar" companies as well. I spend some time every now and then removing such resource-hogging bloat from users' machines. For CNET at least, if you VERY CAREFULLY read every screen presented to you as you try to download, you can decline offers, uncheck checkboxes that indicate you want to install add-on software, and so on. It's been a while, but last time I used that site, I think there were five or six of those things I had to do before it sent the download. Of course as others have commented, there are much more malicious download sites out there too.

Oh yeah, VLC is awesome. Plays a great deal of file types others won't, has a good community developing extensions, skins and so forth, and crashes much less often than some other players. Be sure to assign all video types to it during install, and you can double-click-open files without launching a certain Redmond- spawned product of dubious functionality.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this info. I try not to use CNET, but I didn't know SourceForge had gone down that path. I'm sure that eventually folks won't even think twice about all the extra garbage because they won't remember/know it had ever been different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast