New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a System Refresh Image

I need to create a custom system refresh image so I can do a system re-install from it without losing my installed applications. I've done it on one system without a problem. However, when I try on this system it goes so far 27% or so and then stops with an error code.

This was done using recimg.exe in a Command prompt window. Does anyone know of another way of doing this?

The system is running slowly. It takes a long to time to restart (about 10-15 minutes) and I would like to get back to normal without having to do a completely new install.

Thanks
    Simply use one of the excellent Imaging apps. I use Acronis True Image 2013. Others speak highly of Macrium Reflect.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought the system refresh image created by recimg was not the same as a drive image. Is Acronis T I able to make a "refresh image"?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It probably is different as far as current data and personal settings preservation goes. A 3rd party image would restore everything including the data and personal settings to the point at which the image was made.
    Active data should be backed up more frequently than imaging can usually accommodate anyway so we often split that off into a separate partition and even if on the same partition as the OS and programs, it needs more frequent backing up so a ready source to replace a older set of data with the current after restoring an image takes care of itself.
    All that and the fact that 3rd party imaging is more straightforward and GUI-oriented and more reliable as a whole makes it the preferred choice.

Thanks
    I agree with F.U.N. In fact I keep my data on a separate drive and back it up much more often than I create new Images. In addition to backup of data using Drag and Drop to another PC on our network, once per month I run File History (Win 8) of both our PCs. My Imaging is generally once per month.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can try using Recimg Manager. However, you should be aware that other than actually doing a reset, a refresh image will keep your current settings and thus you will end up where you are now. I don't think the refresh image is substantially different from an image taken with a 3rd party imaging app, so its use is probably recommended to take the image when your computer is running well.

Of course, you can still try it and let us if this impression is confirmed. You probably won't lose anything by trying, other than your time, that is.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem was that recimg would not work. I couldn't even in Acronis True Image so I couldn't use that either. If I could have gotten a good recimg Refresh image, I would have used that to Refresh the system because of the boot problems I was having.
    Any way, I bit the bullet and did a clean install so most of the problems have morphed into different ones now.
    Thanks for your comments.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdtvman View Post
    The problem was that recimg would not work. I couldn't even in Acronis True Image so I couldn't use that either. If I could have gotten a good recimg Refresh image, I would have used that to Refresh the system because of the boot problems I was having.
    Any way, I bit the bullet and did a clean install so most of the problems have morphed into different ones now.
    Thanks for your comments.
    You've already discovered this, but I want to emphasize it for those who might view this thread. The time to make an image, whether using Windows tools or 3rd party tools, is when your machine is running as it should be. If your hard drive has a couple of bad sectors, for example, most imaging tools will balk, and give you a "fail" message. When you're having problems is not the time to create a rescue image.

Restoring a known good image is the easiest way to overcome failures of all kinds, even hard drive failures. If a drive fails, simply replace it with a new one and restore your known good drive image, and you're good to go.

Since you've done a clean install, get your system sorted out and then create an image for future rescue efforts. See "The value of a recent drive image" for more information.

Have you run chkdsk /r on your drives/partitions?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The symptoms you describe indicate that you may have a disk problem. When hardware errors start to appear the disk retries many times to finally read the data correctly, slowing things to a crawl. This would also stop any image programs as soon as it encountered the errors.

I would suggest running a disk repair utility like spinrite (grc.com) ASAP. If it finds errors and is able to correct them make your image and monitor things to see if the disk continues to deteriorate, or just replace the hard drive immediately.