Thread: Strange Crash

New Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Crash

Last week my main desktop started acting up with alternate: Unable to find boot drive and BSODs. The hardware setup is:

ASUS P8-268V main board
    Intel i7-2600K CPU
    NVidia 460 video driving 2 Dell 24 inch monitors
    ATI Rage XL to drive third monitor
    120 GB Crucial SSD as boot drive
    3 X 2GB WD HDD

The computer then crashed and when booted shows the ASUS logo screen and then the screen goes black with a flashing cursor about 5 lines down from the top. No error messages. With my hearing being what it is I don't hear any beeps and don't think the board has a speaker. I blew all the dust out of the box.

I bought a new 240 GB Intel SSD thinking the Crucial had gone bad, indeed I have been unable to copy successfully using a HDD dock with that drive. However putting a formatted working drive with a Win 7 setup in the Desktop still gets the same black screen as above. Trying to boot with just three WD HDD does not produce a BOOT DRIVE NOT FOUND

I have the windows folders backed up weekly on one of the HDD but sudden realized I didn't bu the rest of the boot drive. Not that this matters since the other problem is blocking anything else.

I'm stumped anyone have any suggestions?

BK

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge, BK!

Sounds like stripdown troubleshooting may help, these problems could be from a failing motherboard/BIOS/PSU/ ... difficult to work it out without plenty of known-good alternatives (and time) to test with. Looking at your hardware load, PSU should be the first suspect.

On the Crucial over USB hub issue, some (most?) recovery/file transfer software are limited in the number of USB chips they're compatible with, always test with 2/3 different brands of software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK it has a FSD 650W power supply, the unit is plugged into a UPS that rarely reports more than 125 W of power usage. I did have a heck of a time when I first built the system. It would not boot, I took it to a couple of local repair shops after I gave up on it and they could not figure the problem out. I was suspicious about the PS and replacing it fixed the problem. So I guess I should try swapping that out first. Should I go to a 850W?

The copy problem from he SSD was just a straight copy operation. I haven't tried recovery software.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    (I don't recall hearing about FSD - sure it's not FSP?) The wattage shouldn't be an issue,it's the quality/regulation of the power output (and the age/type of design) that's most important. The easiest high quality PSU's to select are Seasonic and XFX (all are made by Seasonic; with many other brands, the real manufacturers vary, some might be high quality yet others quite poor - even switching makers between revisions of the 'same' PSU). A 550-650W quality PSU should be ample for your hardware.

One thing I must add - when PSU's start failing, they can, and frequently do, take out other hardware - drives included.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah it's FSP. OK I ordered a XFX P1-750X-XXB9 for delivery Monday from Amazon. Thanks for your help.

BK

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I installed the new PSU. Then tried to boot with the older Crucial SSD. It ran fine for maybe 45 mins before getting a BSOD. I rebooted and the SSD had vanished from the list of disks on the BIOS. My guess is that it would run until it got hot. I let it cool down for an hour. Installed a trial imaging program on my laptop and imaged the Crucial from a SATA drive dock to the HDD. Then I restored to the new 240 GB Intel SSD and booted off that. So far so good. Hopefully I won't see another BSOD if I do then it must be something else overheating.

Just curious are there no more boot programs in the root dir anymore? boot.sys ect.

If everything keeps running I'll be returning the Crucial SSD and the FSP PSU in a day or two. If the FSP killed the Crucial then it seems like Crucial is getting the short end of the stick tho.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just disable all startup and services items and check if the problem still persists. Here are the necessary instructions:

1. Click Start, select Run.
    2. Type MSCONFIG
    3. Press ENTER.
    4. Click the Startup tab.
    5. Uncheck all the startup items.
    6. Click Apply | OK.
    7. Restart the machine.