New Lounger
    Thanks

Former programs listing under START

Hello,

I have been using Win8 for a couple of months (coming from WinXP, Win98, Win95 and Windows 3 under DOS).

Not being interested in sports, wining and dining or any form of retailing/advertising I head straight for the DESKTOP option and operate mostly from there.

What I miss most is the simple clickable list of all your programs installed as was in former Windows versions (under START in more recent forms of Windows).

I have not been able to find anything similar yet under Win8 (although I do know how to look for programs - rather laboriously). And of course one could probably check for what is installed by looking into 'uninstall programs' under control panel [presuming there's a control panel] but I have not had to resort to so basic as that.

My Cousin also is a new user Win8 and I asked him too - but he likewise is struggling with this OS and also doesn't know where there's any list of programs.

Cheers,

John (at Sydney, Australia)

Thanks
    Just add one of the Start Menu replacements. In addition to giving these options, it allows a boot directly to the desktop and disabling hot corners on the desktop.

Start8

Classic Shell

Start Is Back

The first and third require nominal fees, Classic Shell is free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can see all programs from the start screen by placing your cursor at the bottom of the start screen and then clicking on all programs. You can customize the start screen by removing and adding what you want so that your most frequently used programs regardless of being a desktop or metro app.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe,

My start screen does have many small rectangular tiles for starting various programs. However at the bottom of the screen I see nothing like " placing your cursor at the bottom of the start screen and then clicking on all programs". There is nothing at all at the bottom of my start screen and if I position mouse cursor there and right or left mouse click then I get nothing - no options presenting themselves.

John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico,

Will try Classic Shell.

John

Thanks
    John, you just need to right click on the start screen. If you do this where there are no tiles, it gives you an all apps option at the bottom right. Personally, I find this better than the Start Menu (I've always found the latter fiddly), though I think I'm in a majority of one about this .

Right clicking on any tile will give you various options for that tile - e.g. removing it from the start screen, resizing etc. I use this to heavily modify my start screen to just have what I want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks access-mdb .... I'd tried "placing your cursor at the bottom of the start screen" and mouse clicking and got nothing - but right at the bottom of the start screen there is a low height bar of different colour slightly and clicking there was where I got nothing. Right clicking anywhere higher than right at the bottom I do get it now as you say. Thanks for that. John.

Thanks
    The above will allow access to All Apps while on the Start Screen, but not while on the Desktop. The addition of the Start Menu replacement will add this to the Desktop very easily. There are other ways of adding an All Apps Toolbar, but I found this cumbersome for my use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy