New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Host website on server

hi there
    Ive been experimenting different things on my server for few months
    My next venture is a website,
    I have brought a domain off namecheap.com and I have designed my website all saved on my server 2008 enterprise.

I have added the web server role on the server now my question is how do I link the two together (the website and the domain) so when I go on the internet my website is available.

thank you in advance for your help
    Maritn

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Martin? and welcome to the lounge.

You will need to configure namecheap.com to forward internet traffic for your domain to the IP address of your server first of all (I've not used them so can't give detailed instructions)

You will also probably have to configure your firewalls as well to allow external access for HTTP protocol.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there thank you for your reply I'll have a look see what I can do about forwarding the traffic, I've configured the firewall to allow http port 80 be great if someone out there has had experience with namecheap

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If you are not experienced in hardening a server, disabling non essential services, etc., I think you'd probably be safer hosting your website elsewhere.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The other problem is you may need a fixed IP address for your server. To get around this you use a dynamic DNS service and set up your domain registrar to re-direct your web site via the DDNS.
    As rurib said, having it hosted by a hosting company makes it easy and secure and there are plenty of cheap deals.

cheers, Paul