Star Lounger
    Thanks

Samsung Magician Software does not work with XP

Hello

I am in the process of installing Windows XP SP3 on a Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb SSD. The software that Samsung provides Magician Software v4.21 to manage the health and performance doesn't work on it. It does not recognize his own drive, its firmware and serial number. Only the test performs.

I also have installed Windows 7 Professional on the same computer and it works without a problem.

I have asked Samsung and they are no help at all. Anybody knows what is happening?
    Many thanks

2.png
    Windows XP (no serial, firmware, state, bytes, information, etc)

1.png
    Windows 7 (everything OK)

Thanks
    Hi,

It could be a SATA driver issue; on my SATA2 W7 install on a Crucial M4, I had to change the driver (from within Device Manager) from the Nvidia controller to the Microsoft standard IDE type. Once that was done, I could then 'see' the drive to update the firmware with the Crucial tool also TRIM then became available and was automatically enabled.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Hi,

It could be a SATA driver issue; on my SATA2 W7 install on a Crucial M4, I had to change the driver (from within Device Manager) from the Nvidia controller to the Microsoft standard IDE type. Once that was done, I could then 'see' the drive to update the firmware with the Crucial tool also TRIM then became available and was automatically enabled.
    The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 with a AMD A10-5800K (CPU/GPU) processor.

For XP I tried with the drivers by default (those that come with the operating system) and with the last ones provided by AMD (FM2-FM1 Chipset Driver v9.0.100.1000)

For 7 only with those that come with the operating system (without SP1)

Thanks
    It looks like that 'board has all AMD/ATI SATA chipsets, if you want AHCI, I don't think you'll be able to install Magician or, probably, enable TRIM in XP.

I don't think it's a big problem, unless you rarely use W7. When you're in W7, the SSD will take care of itself.

For drive health and monitoring, try Hard Drive Sentinel, it probably gives more detail than Magician anyway: http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#noinfo (link is to a page with related info, there may be more details and an alt. driver linked from there too).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It looks like that 'board has all AMD/ATI SATA chipsets, if you want AHCI, I don't think you'll be able to install Magician or, probably, enable TRIM in XP.

I don't think it's a big problem, unless you rarely use W7. When you're in W7, the SSD will take care of itself.

For drive health and monitoring, try Hard Drive Sentinel, it probably gives more detail than Magician anyway: http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#noinfo (link is to a page with related info, there may be more details and an alt. driver linked from there too).
    Searching in some forums I have found that the latest driver AMD SATA RAID v3.3.1540.33 for the chipset motherboard (A85X) does not work with the Samsung Magician Software because it is SATA AHCI RAID not SATA AHCI only. The information is also in the Samsung Support answers. I will try Hard Disc Sentinel. Many thanks.