Lounger
    Thanks

Question How do I restore Win 7 system image to D: drive

I have identical C: and D: drives. Using Backup and Restore in Win 7 Ultimate, I made a system image of C: on an external hard drive. I would like to "restore" this to D: drive. Backup and Restore apparently will restore only to C: drive. Anyone know how to restore to D: drive.

I think it is clear that I simply want to image C: drive to D: drive in case I have future disasters (everything seems fine now).

Thanks

Thanks
    I don't use the Windows imaging tools, but many here that have tried them report they have limitations such as the one you've run into. But you're better off keeping your image files on external media. A power supply or motherboard failure, for example, could also have adverse effects on both your internal drives.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    You could try using a 3rd party tool such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect and creating a clone of C to D. I would then disconnect the power cable from D until it might be needed.

The problem with this type of clone is that the info on the D Drive becomes outdated very quickly. You would have to regularly re-clone (for lack of a better phrase) the C to D.

Imaging onto an Ext. Drive, as bbearren has mentioned, tends to be much safer as a hardware failure on the main PC will not affect the Ext. Drive. If the D Drive is being disconnected, it will kind of be an Ext. Drive. Imaging also allows as many Image files as will fit on the Ext. Drive to be made. Cloning only allows one clone at a time, but there are some that successfully use clones for their full system backups. For example, at any one time I have 6 or 7 Images of my PC and my wife's PC stored on our Ext. HD. Imaging creates a compressed file of the entire HD that can be restore all in one or a file at a time.

Clones were originally designed to transfer the OS from one drive to another, as when the original drive might be failing, or PC manufacturer's cloning an OS to many different PCs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all replies. I essentially agree with everything said. For anyone reading this later, here are my comments. Apparently the built in Win7 disc image process will not clone to drive D:.

Just for the record, my strategy is to clone C: drive to D: primarily for the operating system. If C: drive dies by itself, I will just switch drives physically, update and restore any files created after the clone, much easier than restoring the operating system. I have Acronis 2012 and don't particularly like it. The Win 7 process to create an image file is better. Unfortunately, like Windows often does, it doesn't take the next step, which seems very easy for MS to implement.

I do store backups regularly to external drives kept well away from the computer room and really crucial files on a drive in a different city. I just want to avoid the 2 day process of reinstalling Windows 7. I don't mind restoring my documents, email and preferences. That can be done automatically and takes only a few hours without me even present. Bill G. makes me sit there and watch the installation of Windows because it stops every 30 minutes for input. (When will "he" wake up?)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heritage View Post
    I have identical C: and D: drives. Using Backup and Restore in Win 7 Ultimate, I made a system image of C: on an external hard drive. I would like to "restore" this to D: drive. Backup and Restore apparently will restore only to C: drive. Anyone know how to restore to D: drive.

I think it is clear that I simply want to image C: drive to D: drive in case I have future disasters (everything seems fine now).
    heritage,

Hello.... I a bit confused about your statements ...Think we have some confusion of terms ...

1. By a "System Image" do you mean the entire HD , OS and all else?

2. If your "D" HD is labled as stated ...a third party tool can restore the "Image" to it .. It would first erase it and restore the C: image and change the D: HD to C:

3. This would be done at boot time with a recovery disk made by Acronis... You then would have a choice as to where to place the "Image" , made by Acronis

4. You might try to use the "Windows Image" if you format the "D" and set it as active ... Then remove the C: drive and with a Windows Recovery disk restore the Windows Image to the formatted HD...

5. Personally i would opt for the Acronis route ...Windows Imaging "ain't worth the time"... Its too clumsy and clunky of a program ...even as compared to the Free Imaging programs. Regards Fred

6. Although i (also) do not use, or like Acronis 2012 ...it will do what you ask. So why not ?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I use Acronis True Image 2013 myself. I jumped from 2011 to 2013 (bypassed 2012 altogether).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy