3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Boot--what about these startup items>

My computer lately is very slow to boot up. I checked my msconfig/startup and there are many items checked. Can I get some advice? I just donít know which items to uncheck.

Suggestions?
    For example, do I need Adobe Reader to boot up at start? It seems to me that when I click on an associated file it would boot up anyway. Right? Same for microsoft office (which I donít use anyway) and openoffice.

Do I need Apple Push? I rarely use Itunes and Quicktime?

But, so many others?

(As you can see, I have a Toshiba and there are plenty of Toshiba items in startup)

I was unable to copy the list (is there a way to copy and paste?) so I took pictures.

I am hoping those far more knowledgeable than I can spot files that I don't need to have checked

Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of all the items in those screenshots, I would keep these checked:
    RoboForm
    DropBox
    I don't know what Sub.bat does, but you might need to keep it checked if it's supposed to run during each startup. If you use event notifications from Rainlendar, keep that checked also.

These should be checked only if you use them regularly:
    Toshiba Power Saver
    Synaptics Pointing Device (puts an icon in the system tray for configuring the trackpad)

All the others can safely be disabled for startup, and run as regular programs only when you need them.

One more suggestion: If you rarely or never visit websites that require Java, disable or uninstall it. For the reason, visit http://www.google.com/search?q=java+as+security+risk.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do need sub.bat. It's a file I wrote that does some needed tasks for me. I will start unchecking stuff soon. But I'm waiting for additional responses.

Yes, I use RoboForm and Dropbox and Rainlendar.

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I decided not to wait. I unchecked everything except the items I mentioned in my previous post, and Java.
    It seems a little faster.

Hence, a new question:

I am using a Toshiba with W7 Home.

From the time I press the start button until it is totally read to use, it is 70 seconds. Any thoughts?
    ie: good, bad, average?
    Mel

Thanks
    That is about the most items I have ever seen in the startup folder. Getting rid of all those you did is a great thing. They must have been consuming huge amounts of resources for very little gain in start time when needed. 70 seconds does not seem to bad. Perhaps a good cleanup of temp files including Temp Int. files would help as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no idea how all those items got checked.

It didn't used to be so. I suspect some updates may have done it, and who knows what else!

Mel

Thanks
    Quite often, any S/W you install will also load a component into the Start up folder. In most cases, with today's modern PCs, this is not necessary as apps start quickly when called upon. I see many of them were the Toshiba apps. Many manufacturers try to load all sorts of apps to take the place of tried and true Windows apps or 3rd party apps that are more effective. In my case, I got rid of ALL the Sony apps and installed a "plain vanilla" version of Windows. I did not miss the manufacturer specific apps at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    OK, I decided not to wait. I unchecked everything except the items I mentioned in my previous post, and Java.
    It seems a little faster.

Hence, a new question:

I am using a Toshiba with W7 Home.

From the time I press the start button until it is totally read to use, it is 70 seconds. Any thoughts?
    ie: good, bad, average?
    Mel
    70 seconds on a Windows 7 computer with no SSD, sounds pretty reasonable.
    Rui
    -------
    R4