New Lounger
    Thanks

corrupted Microsoft security essentials download?

A user's PC was badly infected with the Sirefef Trojan which dismantles Microsoft security essentials and prevents windows update from functioning. After doing some research on the Internet, I learned that basically the only way to get rid of this nasty, severe, Trojan is to deploy windows defender. It worked and the Trojan was eliminated with the result being that MSE again was functioning along with windows update.

However, I wanted to reinstall Microsoft security essentials and noticed two different download sites for MSE. I still have the executable files and can share them with anybody, but the net result is that one file was 13.1 MB and the other was 10.7 MB, both version 4.3.216.0. After having totally cleaned out the PC with windows defender I downloaded MSE and reinstalled only to find a couple of hours later than the Sirefef Trojan had reappeared and had again dismantled Microsoft security essentials. Windows defender came to the rescue once again and this is where I started to get curious as to how that could have happened. Upon checking I noticed that there were two different sites with both the same download with different sizes. The download yesterday that reinfected the computer was the 10.7 MB version, so today I downloaded the 13.1 MB version and installed it. So far everything is working properly but the question remains as to why there are two different executable files of the same version but with a different size.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you want to download MSE, do it from Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5201
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    64-bit is 13.1MB and 32-bit is 10.7MB.

I doubt whether the trojan reappearance was connected with this download.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is one thing that is puzzling me a bit. Twice has this malware not only infected the computer in question, but it also disabled MSE? Wouldn't it make sense to add something different from MSE, which is obviously ineffective against this specific threat?
    Rui
    -------
    R4