New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer in Windows 7---did I create this problem?

I'm new to Windows 7 and decided to do some clean-up work (move, rearrange, and delete) in Windows Explorer that I should have done long ago in XP's Windows Explorer. I was working within the document library. Suddenly, everything was gone except for some odd folders from CorelDraw that appeared to be program files and folders. I don't know what happened, but almost everything was gone in the document library (and wasn't in the Recycle Bin). I deleted the CorelDraw folders, probably a mistake, and then had to go through the repair process with CorelDraw.

After some brief research to find out the relationship between My Documents on the C: drive and the document library, I manually repopulated the document library through copy and paste from the user name's My Documents. But now, I have THREE full sets of My Documents (instead of two). One is under Libraries > Documents. A second (duplicate) is under Libraries > Documents > Public Documents. The third is under my user name on the C: drive.

Two questions:
    1) Which of the first two sets should I delete, Libraries > Documents, or Libraries > Documents > Public Documents? Should there be a folder "Public Documents" within Documents?
    2) If I want to manage the hierarchy (move, save, delete, rearrange, whatever), where should I be doing it?

It appears that changes I make to the document library are not reflected to the underlying My Documents, which is a concern. I dislike having to move back and forth between my user name's My Documents and the more readily available library documents, just because I'm doing something different.

I need some direction. Thanks,

Marianswede

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    None of those are duplicates. The libraries links are just links to the actual folder, that exists in c:\users\username.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick response.

My concern is that Windows 7's default location for saving things is in the Libraries. Once I realized that there was duplication of the folders in My Documents, I did a test. I saved something new in the Documents Library, then went to the main My Documents in my user name on the C: drive to look for that saved document. It wasn't there. I refreshed the computer. It was still not there.

I've had this computer for a week and have been creating and saving things in the Libraries default location. At this point, I have no idea what is truly "saved" onto my hard drive and what is not.

Is there some method of making the C: drive user My Documents be the default "go to" location system-wide for Save, Save As, Open, etc.? If yes, I would like to bypass the whole Libraries concept and save things is a little more reliable fashion.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Marianswede (2013-10-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much! That is exactly what I need to do (change the default save location in the Properties)!

Marianswede

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianswede View Post
    Thank you very much! That is exactly what I need to do (change the default save location in the Properties)!

Marianswede
    Great .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also note that you can remove any location you don't want data be included in. On some remote computers I only want data in the public folders so I eliminate the other personal local library locations so only one place is allowed...by default.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Thanks for that new information.

My challenge is making certain I don't accidentally save ANYTHING into a library location. Although the earlier post about Dropbox showed a screenshot of "3 locations" being saved to in the "Save As" command, there is no indication of "3 locations" on my system. I just need to make certain that I save to one known permanent location. I would be happy if I could find some way to not even see the libraries. I doubt that's possible. Oh well...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Marianswede
    You actually never "save" anything to a library folder, it's a virtual function and just shortcuts you see. I also found it very confusing although many folk find it very handy. In my case I'm quite happy saving whatever in folders as I like w/o this option. I decided to remove all references to Libraries inside Explorer, see http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-...-in-windows-7/

I'm running W7 Pro 64-bit and it worked for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that feedback, Rompy, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in finding that feature a bit odd. I will disable it with those fine instructions.