Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Map Network Drive Wizard (SR-2)

Here's the background.

Brand new computer. I've inserted the OEM Windows 2000 SR-2 CD, and reinstalled on a freshly formatted NTFS partition... with me so far... good.

I've set the computer up to connect to a domain environment (we'll call <font color=blue>THEDOMAIN</font color=blue> for this issue). I've signed on as a domain user with administrator rights and privlidges (we'll call him <font color=blue>BIGUSER</font color=blue>) and all works fine. <font color=blue>BIGUSER</font color=blue>'s domain account has a login script that connects to many network shares including, <font color=blue>THE-SERVERTHE-SHARE</font color=blue>. Still with me? Haven't gotten to the problem yet.

I now sign on as <font color=blue>DOMAINUSER</font color=blue>, who also has a login script, which runs normally, connecting to many network shares.

Here's the problem.....

While signed on as <font color=blue>DOMAINUSER</font color=blue>, I need to access a network share, with security in place that this user cannot normally access. So I use the MAP NETWORK DRIVE Wizard in Explorer. I try to map the <font color=blue>E:</font color=blue> drive, to <font color=blue>THE-SERVERTHE-SHARE</font color=blue>, using the <font color=blue>THEDOMAINBIGUSER</font color=blue> account and password. I then receive the following error messages:

The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share. (OK)

and...

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials. (OK)

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? The <font color=blue>DOMAINUSER</font color=blue> account doesn't have any mappings to this share. I've tried both logging off, and restarting the computers.
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Map Network Drive Wizard (SR-2)

Chris, are you using the runas command anywhere? Is the account you are using in a domain administrators group?

I think if you do this from the command promt you'd have no problems. Here's how...

Start|Run|cmd [enter]
    runas /user:thedomainbiguser cmd [enter]
    {you will be asked for a password now}
    {a new command window will open, use it for the following...}
    net use e: the-servertheshare [enter]
    {note the space between : and }

That should do it. Unless of course you already have a drive E. Then you will have to unmap it before proceeding or pick an unused drive letter. Unmapping looks like this:

{starting from an administrators command window}
    net use e: the-serverthe-share /delete [enter]

Let us know if this works for you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That's a great work-around, and it appears to have let me do what I required, but it's not a great solution.

I will however use it if the problem happens again.

Thanks for your help...
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't forget... you can batch all of this and give it a shortcut. I would still be looking into just why you have a share mapping to E: when you want a different share mapped there. Logon script perhaps? Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Dean

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post...

All users on our domain have logon scripts that run as expected at logon. While signed on as a regular domain user, with local POWER USER security, I needed to map to a network share that the domain user didn't have access to. To get this share, for a temporary purpose only, I went to use the wizard to map it. I specified the THEDOMAINBIGUSER account, which has full administrative rights both locally, and on the domain, to do this.

The process that I needed to run requires local admin rights, which the domain user didn't have. The network share required certain rights, which the domain user doesn't (and will not) have.

This process has worked before, on many computers... just not this one (so far). I have about 50 more computers to setup....
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow. I don't envy your task. For what it's worth I've had similar problems with machines that were upgraded from Win98se (thus the workaround) that don't exist with cleanly installed machines.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen this message when the Computer already has a connection to the server, even if it is to a different share. Try typing
    NET USE
    and look for any connections to the server, if you find one then you will have to disconnect it before you can connect with a different username.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried that, without any luck!

What a problem... at least I have the work around already suggested....
    Christopher Baldrey